when can I drink!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
so i brewed a Weizenbier a month ago, (only primary ferment 3 weeks) and bottled it last sunday (its been 5 days now) I put about a tea spoon of glucose in each bottle. When should I test it to has carbonated? its been sitting in the dark at about 68 F. thanks.

3 weeks at 70 F is the mantra. I do 4. Test it after 2 weeks and see if you like it.

This may sound crazy but i tested a pale ale after 5 days,just used a quick ice batch like 15 min.And i couldnt believe it was as carbonated as it was, i used dme which is suppose to take longer, i also checked my oatmeal creme stout at almost two weeks and is pretty close to being done and i had no complaints about the carbonation of either.My temps were 67 also.
Any body else use a quick ice bath to chill one? I had an ipa that tasted better this way than in the fridge for 3 days,im a little confused.

You can try it any time you like, it's your beer afterall...but if you open it early it will probably be flat and taste like a$$, so don't start a panic, "my beer is flat and tastes like a$$ thread." We'll laugh at you and tell you how you should have waited at least three weeks. :)

read this, and you'll understand. Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

If you're thirsty, go get some micro brews and call it "research for my next batch."

I had an IPA that took 5 weeks before it really started tasting good. For some reason my IPAs seem to require a much longer bottling time then my dopplebocks or scotch ales which are tasty in 3 weeks. I figured the denser beers would take longer

so i brewed a Weizenbier a month ago, (only primary ferment 3 weeks) and bottled it last sunday (its been 5 days now) I put about a tea spoon of glucose in each bottle. When should I test it to has carbonated? its been sitting in the dark at about 68 F. thanks.

in the future I'd recommend making a priming solution (just mix all the sugar in 2 cups boiled water) and racking your beer onto it in the bottling bucket instead of priming each bottle individually. its safer and quicker

You could try it any time you like. By trying it too early, you'll find when is too early, and then next time you'll know.

When I was bottling, I'd try after 5 days, no problem. But normally it was not really there yet. But at least it was homebrew, right?

Go drink one now if you want. You got like 50 more, right? What's the big deal. If it's almost there, try again Saturday (if you can wait that long). If it's not, try again Saturday (if you can wait that long).

My point is, try it if you like. Understand it might not be ready. Do not judge it yet. But feel free to try it. After you've tried enough at 5 days bottled, you might be able to judge it at this point. But for now, it's all learning.

My first brew is conditioning now, but since it is my first, I open and drink a bottle once every few days just to see how it develops. Two weeks now, already opened 6 bottles and it is starting to taste like something. This way I'll probably finished most of it before it reaches its peak, but then again it's a good learning process and I can always brew some more!

Here's one... I bottled a batch yesterday and brought in my box of "Grolsch-like" bottles from the garage to clean & sanitize. The last one that I picked up from the box was FULL!! I had forgotten about that beer and it sat for 2 months. It was from my first batch that I brewed on Christmas day. It was a Pale Ale from a kit.

Well, I can tell you - these guys ain't just whistlin' Dixie. That beer was FANTASTIC and now, of course, I wish I had waited to drink them all. If nothing else, it showed me that patience is key...

Listen to everyone here....

Waiting does pay off. The beer will taste much better with some time. I noticed a big difference from 3 weeks to week 5 in the taste of an APA I recently brewed.

I know it is hard to wait but gets easier once your pipeline gets going.

Here's one... I bottled a batch yesterday and brought in my box of "Grolsch-like" bottles from the garage to clean & sanitize. The last one that I picked up from the box was FULL!! I had forgotten about that beer and it sat for 2 months. It was from my first batch that I brewed on Christmas day. It was a Pale Ale from a kit.

Well, I can tell you - these guys ain't just whistlin' Dixie. That beer was FANTASTIC and now, of course, I wish I had waited to drink them all. If nothing else, it showed me that patience is key...

Yep i honestly see very little benefit to trying beers early. Despite the rationalization that many new brewer say is for 'educational purposes' I find there's very little to be gleaned tasting a beer at 1 week, and again at 2....that to me just means there 2 less beers that are actually tasting good and are ready at the end. I don't buy budweiser because I don't like to taste "bad" beer. So why would I drink my own beer when it was "bad" especially since I know it's going to be delicious a few weeks later.

My first brew is conditioning now, but since it is my first, I open and drink a bottle once every few days just to see how it develops. Two weeks now, already opened 6 bottles and it is starting to taste like something. This way I'll probably finished most of it before it reaches its peak, but then again it's a good learning process and I can always brew some more!

That's the way to do it. Eventually you'll know to wait a while longer before starting, or you'll have enough of a pipeline where it's a non-issue. But I think many of us did the same thing for our first batches. I know I did, and hell I still do. Even with three ready on tap, when I put a new one on, I still hit it every few days to see how it's coming. First day is warm and flat. Third day is cold and flat. Fifth day is cold and slightly carbonated. Seventh day is cold and carbonated enough. I know what's going to happen, but I don't see anything wrong with tasting as you go.

Back