Re-using Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
I am thinking of trying to string together three batches from a single packet of Safale US-05.

The idea is to brew every 3 weeks and simply pitch my new batch right onto the old yeast.

I'll likely start off with an APA (~1050)...primary it for 3 weeks, rack it and pitch the following batch right away, so-on and so-forth.

Any recommendations for other ales for this progression?

I would do the hoppiest beer last, those hops tend to sneak into the primary if you aren't really careful. Other than that, I don't think it should really matter how you do it. Its definitely better to wash the yeast first though, so if you have a few minutes to learn how, that would be your best route.

other guys with more experience will pry chime in but I wouldn't.

you'll get the regular guys who'll post on here that it's over pitching....and while I've done it a couple of times do ing it repetively IMHO will only have you ending up w2ith dead yeast at some point sooner or later. I mean if you aren't removing the yeast and you're building them up each time then sooner or later they will die in your fermentor

HER I AM!!!;)

Dump 3/4 of the cake each time. you will be a BELIEVER!

A whole cake is too much yeast and they do ugly cannabalistic things instead of regenerating!

Wash and make sure to be extra careful with sanitization, those few dollars of savings will be out the window if you handle things poorly and infect a batch...or 2!

HER I AM!!!;)

Dump 3/4 of the cake each time. you will be a BELIEVER!

A whole cake is too much yeast and they do ugly cannabalistic things instead of regenerating!

Should I dump the 3/4 or scoop and wash 1/4? Is it just a matter of my own motivation vs. my own laziness?

no need to wash it at all if you are going from batch to batch immediately. Just do as cheezydemon said and use about 1/4 of the trub for each successive new batch. if you are only waiting a day or two between I have sanitized a ziploc and dumped some trub into it and tossed it in the fridge. When ready to use snip the corner of the bag with sanitized scissors and squeeze it into the carboy. IF you are gonna be waiting a week or more between batches then yeast washing is easy and your best bet.

You should re-pitch yeast no more than 3 times.

Some people suggest washing the yeast before re-pitching. However, I didn't last time. Some will also say to scoop out half of the trub/yeast before re-pitching. Again, I didn't. The rnd batch actually taste better than the 1st.

I'm going to re-use the yeast one more, but this time I'm going to scoop out about half of it.

Btw - The batches are a stout with slightly different hop schedules.

I hope this helps.

E

no need to wash it at all if you are going from batch to batch immediately. Just do as cheezydemon said and use about 1/4 of the trub for each successive new batch. if you are only waiting a day or two between I have sanitized a ziploc and dumped some trub into it and tossed it in the fridge. When ready to use snip the corner of the bag with sanitized scissors and squeeze it into the carboy. IF you are gonna be waiting a week or more between batches then yeast washing is easy and your best bet.

If you can avoid it, why would you dump onto a full cake which contains millions of dead cells, proteins and hop residue? A quick wash will provide you with majority of healthy yeast and some water. I mean, who wants to invite the "deadbeats" back to the yeast feast? :ban:

Go to www.mrmalty.com and use the "prior slurry" option to figure out how much slurry you need to pitch each time. Just scoop out what you need into a sanitized measuring cup.

As stated, I wouldn't reuse yeast from really hoppy beers or anything high gravity.

S-05 is my house yeast, and I wash. I have dumped on top of a cake once, because I was brewing at the last minute and didn't have any washed. It was insane.. it was fermenting in 4 hours!!! I had to install a blow-off tube.

You should re-pitch yeast no more than 3 times.

Some people suggest washing the yeast before re-pitching. However, I didn't last time. Some will also say to scoop out half of the trub/yeast before re-pitching. Again, I didn't. The rnd batch actually taste better than the 1st.

I'm going to re-use the yeast one more, but this time I'm going to scoop out about half of it.

Btw - The batches are a stout with slightly different hop schedules.

I hope this helps.

E

Where did you pluck that number from?

Instead of repitching to trhe trub, why not do it the other way: do a 2 litre starter, pitch half to the first batch then rebuild the starter from the remaining litre? less chance of brewing bacteria along with the yeast.

Is there any benifit to re-using the yeast cake other than cost? I mean, I get s-05 for 1.99 at my supply store.

Not really, but 2 bucks is 2 bucks. That's another pound of specialty grains, but I'm cheap.

Yes. This is the motivation. Safale is $4 ea at my LHBS. If I can cut $12 on ingredients across 3 batches, without any diminishing return, then why wouldn't I?

Looking at it this way:
At my LHBS, $12 would get me 6LB of LME. Effectively paying for the LME of the 3rd batch.

Or this way:
Hops at LHBS are $3.95/2oz. $12 could potentially pay for nearly all the hops of the progression.

Single-income Dad with 2 kids... I'm just trying to make it as cost-effective as I can.

It should also be added, I am only doing 3 Gal batches @ ~1050 or 1060 on this progression.

Yep.. reusing yeast is like free money. People will argue until they are blue in the face that reusing dry yeast is a waste. My friends who think my beer is fantastic sure don't mind it ;)

Not to mention, I think it adds to the DIY aspect of homebrewing that I love so much.

Instead of repitching to trhe trub, why not do it the other way: do a 2 litre starter, pitch half to the first batch then rebuild the starter from the remaining litre? less chance of brewing bacteria along with the yeast.

Completely valid, but then you have a TON of good yeast. Why waste it?

Is there any benifit to re-using the yeast cake other than cost? I mean, I get s-05 for 1.99 at my supply store.

Convenience is huge, but a viable healthy batch of yeast revving to go over a dry packet wins any day.

Yep.. reusing yeast is like free money. People will argue until they are blue in the face that reusing dry yeast is a waste. My friends who think my beer is fantastic sure don't mind it ;)

Not to mention, I think it adds to the DIY aspect of homebrewing that I love so much.

:mug:

I actually rinse a 1/2 gallon of sanitized water onto my yeast cake, swish and dump.

Yeast will hang on. 99% of the trub etc will be ejected leaving a perfect amount of yeast. SO I guess I do sorta wash, but my main goal is getting rid of 3/4 of the cake. Not easy with little or no liquid.

Also, a clean paper towel soaked in some no-rinse to wipe the krausen ring and the lip of the bucket can't hurt.

I had a batch of yeast last 19 batches.

None of the beer was infected, and the last batch may have been the best.

The fermenter did finally get infected after sitting with an airlock for 3 weeks.

so it got infected at some point, but the beer didn't. The yeast just had an oily sheen and a vinegary smell. Time for a new $1.99 pack of yeast.;)

I can buy dry yeast pretty cheap too but the store is 30 minutes away, one way. If I get a chance to brew I don't want an hour of driving nor do I want to wait while an order comes in. Washing yeast is simple and then I have a ready supply with quite a large amount of yeast cells set to pitch.

I suppose I could avoid that by buying a bunch while I'm at the store, but I'm never sure how soon I will use it and I hate to have it sitting here going bad on me. Maybe it's the challenge of he process that drives me?

Yep.. reusing yeast is like free money. People will argue until they are blue in the face that reusing dry yeast is a waste.

I agree. I received a US05 and S04 with 2 recipe kits back in August and purchased an extra 1056. I've done 11 batches since then and have not purchased yeast. I also have about 6 pints of washed in the fridg. I've done everything from BM's Centennial Blond to a 10% barleywine and RIS using these 2 yeasts.

i would deffinatley look up "washing yeast" i have washed 3 seperate batches of yeast including a packman harvest and i have 7 jars in my beer fridge read to make a starter. i know it seems cheap but i washed from $7 smack packs that will save huge money in the long run.

OP - Wash then make a starter. both processes can be found in this forum.

i would deffinatley look up "washing yeast" i have washed 3 seperate batches of yeast including a packman harvest and i have 7 jars in my beer fridge read to make a starter. i know it seems cheap but i washed from $7 smack packs that will save huge money in the long run.

OP - Wash then make a starter. both processes can be found in this forum.

Yes, this is exactly what I am taking away from this thread. Thanks to all who weighed in.

Where did you pluck that number from?

From reading and talking to people.

I actually should have said that I don't suggest more than 3 times. From what I remember, I heard that re-pitching yeast 3 to 4 times is ok. So, I leaned toward 3 just to be cautious.

What's your opinion on the topic?

E

while it is possible it's not really that great an idea and here's why:

-you are (effectively) pitching way too much yeast if you just rack onto the cake
-there is no benefit to 3rd generation S05 yeast strain that I can see
-unless you live somewhere where it's expensive to ship or hard to get that yeast strain it's not worth the risk: see posts in the yeast forum on pitch rates....

save the yeast washing/saving techniques for specialty yeast strains from wyeast or whitelabs and go simple. get more packs of yeast at your LHBS or online...

well handled yeast is good for up to 10 generations. read up. there's lots to know about this. I wash yeast all the time. it's easy

while it is possible it's not really that great an idea and here's why:

-you are (effectively) pitching way too much yeast if you just rack onto the cake
-there is no benefit to 3rd generation S05 yeast strain that I can see
-unless you live somewhere where it's expensive to ship or hard to get that yeast strain it's not worth the risk: see posts in the yeast forum on pitch rates....

save the yeast washing/saving techniques for specialty yeast strains from wyeast or whitelabs and go simple. get more packs of yeast at your LHBS or online...

its not always about the cost.. I have packets of s-05...s-04...and notty in the fridge but still wash and reuse it. It is just another interesting aspect of the hobby to me. PLUS I get to practise on cheap yeast so when I wash the white labs I have brewing I don't screw it up.

ALSO..IMO if your sanitation practises are not good enough to wash yeast without infections then your beer is screwed anyway.

10 generations! WOW!! If that were the case ALL yeast would have gone bad 2 million years ago.

19 batches is what I got from 1 dry packet. And even then, it was infected, not tired, or worn out, or whatever.

I am currenlty fermenting an Abt 12 with WLP500. Since this is a high gravity beer, can I still wash and re-use the yeast? If yes, and I wanted to do another high gravity beer, would I be wise to first do a normal gravity beer, wash and then use the newly washed slurry for the high gravity?

Yeast is its best between the 3rd and 6th generation of itself. So you'll probably get your best beer on your 3rd to 6th use of that yeast!

Finally got around to using the yeast I washed a few weeks ago using advice from this thread. I did a real simple (read: cheap) amber ale in a 3 gal batch.

I am happy to report it is chugging away in my carboy like crazy despite forgetting to make a starter in time for brew day.

Thanks all!

i have had excellent luck with re using us05. after i rack to the keg. i simpley pour 500 ml of the cake into a sanitized beaker. note on the beakerr the harvest date and name and cap it. through it in 38f fridge and have used it up to 3 weeks later.

i do "rehydrate" or "re-kindle" the yeast by taking it to another 1000ml beaker (after pouring off the clear liquid that has risen to the top) with some of the cooled wort and let them get a bit friendly first, then dump into new batch.

but as stated above, if your not washing yeasts, dont reuse more than 3 times. i only reuse once if not washed, just because i dont want to f up a great beer that ive waited anywhere from a month to a year and a half to try.

Cheers!

WASH YOUR YEAST! I have dumped onto yeast cakes and washed yeast.. I always have a better product after washing. Even if you wash and pitch all the yeast from the previous batch it still turns out better because you remove all the yeast the are K.I.A and all the unwanted trub.

This is just a suggestion, but someone can correct me if my procedure/idea is a bad one: Make a big starter out of one packet of yeast in a sanitized 2 liter bottle. Buy about 12 test tubes with screw on caps (I think more beer sells these). Buy some glycerin. Then fill each test tube up and put in fridge. When the yeast settle, decant liquid off yeast and fill back up with more starter. Repeat fridge process until your tubes are about half full of only yeast, then add some glycerin, shake it up and label and put in freezer. Voila! You just created 12 packets of yeast from one packet of yeast. With the glycerin, you can keep frozen for a year or so and all you have to do is pull one out and do a starter.

Back