The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coworker- so you make beer, can you make those xmas beers
me-xmas beers? yea I guess so, I can make pretty much any kind of ale
coworker- I mean like a dark beer you know a xmas beer?
me- there are lots of different styles that are dark, porters, stouts, brown ales, they aren't really xmas beers per se
coworker- I had a Miller Lite a couple weeks ago it was really good
me- I gotta go see you tomarrow

"This is the best IPA I have ever had" - My neighbor

"Yuck...what is that in the beer" - friend at work
"Its call taste idiot" - me

I let some good friend try my very first brew at a christmas eve party

a Hefe Weizen

all of them said tastes like beer !!!

the everyone of them said " so.. you make this in a bathtub or something"

:mug:

I guess the dumbest comment i've gotten (on an american amber) was: Not bad but you should thin it out so its not so dark.

My response was to get a six pack of bush light and strip the labels off. About two weeks later i gave it to himand told himit was the same recipe but "thinned out". He cracked one and immediately said......Woww! Now thats a good beer.

I then thanked him for helping me perfect the recipe and told him if he gave me an hours notice i would have the modified version for him when he came over.

My freinds are furkin morons!!!

I was sharing my Sparkling Cranberry Cider with my sister- in-law. My mother-in-law hears her daughter raving about how good it tastes. Therefore she wants a glass of it too.

I pour her a splash in a glass, she says fill it up. I'm like OK, fill it and pass it over to her. She takes a sip.... says "This stuff is pretty good."

She starts to chug about it down. In one go about half the glass is gone.

I told her, "Take it easy. This cider has 8.5% alcohol."

She goes to me. "Did you say there is alcohol in this stuff?" The look she gives is like I've got three heads.

I said, "Yes" Then she walks over to the sink and dumps the rest down the drain.

Then she says, " You didn't tell me there was alcohol in it, I thought it was just juice."

I was thinking the 20oz Chablis glass might be a dead give away. I guess I should have poured it one of my wife's McDonald's glasses and kept my mouth shut! :D

When I say I homebrewed it after compliments, and they get over the astonishment that you can brew your own beer,

"Is that legal? I mean, aren't you afraid of something blowing up?"

"Naw, I keep my still back in da woots"

I guess the dumbest comment i've gotten (on an american amber) was: Not bad but you should thin it out so its not so dark.

My response was to get a six pack of bush light and strip the labels off. About two weeks later i gave it to himand told himit was the same recipe but "thinned out". He cracked one and immediately said......Woww! Now thats a good beer.

I then thanked him for helping me perfect the recipe and told him if he gave me an hours notice i would have the modified version for him when he came over.

My freinds are furkin morons!!!

That's brilliant. I should try that.

Also, I now have "Hillbilly Deluxe" stuck in my head. Thanks.

SWMBO whenever she sips one of my beers for the first time:

*makes face* "ECCCCCH! That's a you beer."

Funny, because she swears I "converted" her and she only likes good beer now. Yet I still come home and find a 24-pack of canned Miller Lite in the fridge "because it was on sale." WTF!!!?!?!?!

She also calls the bathroom I've converted into a fermentation chamber my "meth lab".......

I was sharing my Sparkling Cranberry Cider with my sister- in-law. My mother-in-law hears her daughter raving about how good it tastes. Therefore she wants a glass of it too.

I pour her a splash in a glass, she says fill it up. I'm like OK, fill it and pass it over to her. She takes a sip.... says "This stuff is pretty good."

She starts to chug about it down. In one go about half the glass is gone.

I told her, "Take it easy. This cider has 8.5% alcohol."

She goes to me. "Did you say there is alcohol in this stuff?" The look she gives is like I've got three heads.

I said, "Yes" Then she walks over to the sink and dumps the rest down the drain.

Then she says, " You didn't tell me there was alcohol in it, I thought it was just juice."

I was thinking the 20oz Chablis glass might be a dead give away. I guess I should have poured it one of my wife's McDonald's glasses and kept my mouth shut! :D

double lol

Wow... I love this thread. :mug:

So far most of the people i made them taste the stuff have been either polite or rather enthusiastic.

My wife takes a sip or two sometimes and then says: "I'm not much into beer anyways".

But she admits it has flavor and interesting tastes, but she's more into Red wine.

My sister in law tasting a dark Irish Ale i made gave me a look like i just gave her a glass of windshield washer fluid and said: "This doesn't taste like beer at all, what did you put in there?".

Had this thread in mind last night and i couldn't help to compare Beer making to music making.

For those of you who do play and compose their own songs you might relate to what i say here, presenting your own music to relatives often gets you as harsh a response as making them taste your homebrew.

This is such a sad planet filled with so many clueless ignorants... I'll drink to that.

I generally don't play my music to my relatives. SWMBO is rarely much of a fan, my kids sometimes dig it, but everyone else I give up on.

Recently when telling a friend that I started making homebrew he told me that he has always heard that the first few batches are no good. What? That's like saying the first cake you ever bake will be trash. Apparently he didn't think there could actually be beer recipes out there and people who know what they are doing.

He asked what type of beer I will make. I said, "Pretty much all kinds except IPA because I'm not a fan of super hoppy beers." He then proceeded to tell me that IPA's taste the way they do because it's the leftovers from various kegs all mixed together!! I couldn't believe it, sometimes I wish people just pull their head out of their a** and think before they talk.

i gave out a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein i made at christmas, and many people enjoyed it and i explained what it was and how i made it and such.

Then one person emailed me telling me they tried it and said "it tasted a lot like apples" i was like: " WTF mate, did u listen to my explanation at all?"

As tempting as it is to call people idiots, remember that you're much more experienced and knowledgeable than the average person on the topic. Even home brewers that enjoy many styles of beer could mis-identify something by taste.

And think about what the average person is exposed to.

I try not to do it, but it's hard. I can't stand when people ask me to change the music I'm listening to because it has no words.

No ****, genius, it's music.

But I oblige because they just haven't developed the taste for that. Just like I hadn't before a foray into hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of musical dabblings.

That being said - I spied someone switch from miller lite to a bottled Pils a month ago and on the first sip they said

"WHOA, What's in this?!"

I found the bottle nearly full on a table later that night. It just seems like such a shame that people do ANYTHING and don't take the time to expand their knowledge and taste for it. Music, beer, art, literature, EVERYTHING.

But we're all ignorant of something ;)

It isn't the lack of knowledge that bothers me, but the complete aversion to new things and different experiences. That is what makes an idiot to me.

Luckily, most people I run across are either, beer nerds, wanna be beer nerds, or people who drink anything given to them. So I either get honest reviews, or "dude, you are my new beer god!" Like totally! :rolleyes:

It isn't the lack of knowledge that bothers me, but the complete aversion to new things and different experiences. That is what makes an idiot to me.

My thoughts exactly, I can understand people not wanting to try completely radical things like bungee jumping or eating a worm or something this extreme, but trying a new style of beer, or listening to some instrumental music for a change instead of this soul less machine made "Boom Boom" they always listen to, or a new kind of food or whatever...

For me it indicates a very close minded person right there, and i feel i cant really connect with completely close minded individuals.

Could Home brew be used as some kind of a personality test?

I'll drink to that... :mug:

It wasn't a beer that I made, but a few months back at a poker game at my house I had some Ruination in the fridge. One of the guys at the game who is a hardcore High Life drinker poured himself a Ruination and after 1 drink he made the 'Bitter Beer Face' and exclaimed "Man, that's like drinking weeds... that's nasty".

I literally fell out of my chair laughing.

my older sister. an avid party pooper and budweiser drinker. after a german ale.....thats ganky tasting! ????

I have to give credit to my step dad's family Busch drinking guys when trying my beers. I get "that has good flavor! I'd probably like it better if trying it before drinking a few Busch's". They're pretty country, but what i like to call High Class/High-Tech hillbilly. I mean this with utmost respect. Old country boys who are very well educated and skilled and opened minded about everything.
I also have one buddy who I get the dark comment quite often. But I cut him alot of slack because he is really trying to educate himself and is getting into beer. Let's face it though, "DARK" is the very common to the beer beginner. So when he says I like that dark beer, referring to an amber or brown", I explain the style so he has a better vocabulary. Sometimes Dark is used because they just don't know Stout, Porter, Brown Ale, and other lingo.

WTF is "heavy"? You mean it's thick and actually has substance compared to the pi$$ beer you usually drink? And it's supposed to be nutty; my special ingredient :)

Now stop wasting my good home brew!

Recently when telling a friend that I started making homebrew he told me that he has always heard that the first few batches are no good. What? That's like saying the first cake you ever bake will be trash. Apparently he didn't think there could actually be beer recipes out there and people who know what they are doing.

He asked what type of beer I will make. I said, "Pretty much all kinds except IPA because I'm not a fan of super hoppy beers." He then proceeded to tell me that IPA's taste the way they do because it's the leftovers from various kegs all mixed together!! I couldn't believe it, sometimes I wish people just pull their head out of their a** and think before they talk.

I find this to be most annoying from people who think they know beer and spout something utterly false as factual information.

My absolute favorite comment is "Porters are made from the stuff off the bottom of the barrel"

They think anything dark is from the sludge at bottom of a barrel.

It has a possibility of being true if they harvested the yeast or may have poured fresh wort onto a yeast cake. But how likely would they have known that, much less understood why?

Not a chance! Arrrghhh!! :mad:

I find this to be most annoying from people who think they know beer and spout something utterly false as factual information.

My absolute favorite comment is "Porters are made from the stuff off the bottom of the barrel"

They think anything dark is from the sludge at bottom of a barrel.

It has a possibility of being true if they harvested the yeast or may have poured fresh wort onto a yeast cake. But how likely would they have known that, much less understood why?

Not a chance! Arrrghhh!! :mad:

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

They're pretty country, but what i like to call High Class/High-Tech hillbilly. I mean this with utmost respect. Old country boys who are very well educated and skilled and opened minded about everything.

Those are "Good ol' boys". I alway tell people the difference between good ol' boys and rednecks is that good ol' boys raise livestock. Rednecks get romantically involved.

Last year my LHBC had a competition, style 5...I brewed a Maibock. So at the meeting I was pouring a growler and I heard one guy remark to another "not enough caramel...I like caramel in a Maibock". Of course, Style 5A says "little to no caramelization".

I won the comp with it and later took 2nd BOS in a local comp. :D

Everyone has different tastes, but at least know what the **** you're talking about. ;)

The other night I brought over 4 beers to a buddies house and left them there because he was drinking his stuff. I brought over admittedly not one of my best beers (The awful, to me, extract RIS I made like 2 months ago.) and I brought over one of my proudest beers.

I called him a week and a half later and asked him what he thought honestly. He told me they, "just tasted old. I don't know how else to describe it, not to knock your brewing, they were just old beers." Yeah they were old alright, neither of them were even brewed 4 months ago. And No, before anyone asks, they do not taste green at all anymore. I've sampled from each batch, heavily :D.

He is a devout Coors Light drinker. So that pretty much explains it. Rice hulls and Beech chips = beer to some.

Guess who is not getting any more HB?

I gave a 6'er of Hefe Weizen to three buddies from work who I thought were beer snobs. Two of them gave me really positive comments, intelligent feedback, and asked for more.

One of them described it as "kind of cloudy and yeasty."

Guess which one doesn't get homebrew anymore.

After a keg of my brown was emptied:
Him: Wow, your beer is really good, I don't think I've had one of your beers that I didn't like.... who knew you could brew homebrew that tasted good...
Me: (inside my head... WTF???)

Back