beer taste great and seems pretty carbed but still tastes watered down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtus72

Reaction score
Hey guys, I brewed the ferocious ipa kit from midwest brewing. My brew has been in the keg under 12 psi for two weeks two days now. It has a decent head very creamy and leaves great lacing. also has bubbles streaming up. it is deliciously hoppy and taste good but has no body. it is still watered down tasting. would it still be undercarbed? or does it just need a little more set time in the keg to come together more? Any help would be great guys. would hate for such a great tasting beer to stay watered down tasting.

6lbs gold lme, 3.3lbs amber lme, 4oz crystal 50-60L, 1oz warrior bittering, 2oz ammarilo, 2oz citra, 1oz ahatnum. addition were warrior at 60min the rest was blended with the 2oz ammarilo 2oz citra additions at 20, 15, 10, 5 and flameout. dry hopped 5 days with 1oz simcoe and 2oz cascade.

If this was a 5 gallon batch,9.3lbs of extract should have a great malty backbone. What was your total volume in the fermenter? How much yeast?

uniondr yes man this was a 5 gal batch and i was spot on the 5gal mark when i topped off. i done a 3 gal boil so i used as much in my boil as i could for hop utilization. I also thought this but i mean maybe it is the carbonation is just not there yet? I mean it had alot of bubbles streaming a decent head and a ton of lacing and the taste was delicious but just waterey ya know. idk maybe the carbonation is just not where it needs to be? I'm sure that could make it seem more watered dwn than it is wouldn't it?

Two weeks on gas should be fine. But isn't carbonation done at a higher PSI during carb/conditioning time in kegs? I thought I read that on here. Then reduce to serving pressure. But anyway,that could account for the thin body you're experiencing. Carbonation does change our perception of aroma & flavor.

yea i been searching up on that. there are two methods. set and forget and then there's force carbing which force carbing is the one where you jack the psi up to like 30 psi for 36 hours and your beer is carbed then you set it back at serving pressure but they say it can result in over carbed beer i'd just done the set and forget where you leave it at serving pressure for a couple of weeks and the beer slowly over the two weeks absorbs the co2. so idk really why i'm getting this watered down result as of now.

Back