Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not the most handy person in the world, but one of the best things I have done for this hobby has been kegging. I was starting to feel like the bottling was a drudgery. Now, I keg the majority and bottle some of my special beers.

How soon can you drink after keging and carbonating?

Kegging and carbonating is not the same as aging and conditioning.

Green beer, whether in the bottle or in the keg, needs some time to mature.

The amount of time depends on the type of beer.

A wheat, for instance, will be pretty drinkable about as soon as the beer is fully carbed.

A lager needs to sit in a cold location for a few months to be fully mature.

Finished my kegerator about a week ago.

Older Kelvinator fridge with the freezer built into the inside the fridge. Did not want to put a tap too low, so figured I would make my own tower. Looked for an old red toolbox, but could not find one, so I went for the old kerosene can instead. Fabricated a frame out of wood inside the bottom of the kerosene can to mount the wooden base seen in the picture; made it much easier to mount to the top of the fridge. Because of the location of the freezer, had to run pipe insulation from Lowes around the beer distribution line between the freezer portion and the inside wall of the fridge to keep it from freezing. So far, so good. Cut the wire racks so the the keg would fit nicely without sacrificing all of the shelving space (they don't make things like they used to... cant find many fridges with solid metal shelving these days). Need to find some clips to mount the gas/beer lines to the inside wall of the fridge to keep things tidy, but all in due time. Awaiting the temp controller from the E-bay temperature controller build thread (thanks android!), which will just about finish the kegerator.

IMGP0002.jpg

IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0006.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

Nicely done. Looks like you put some thought into it. I like the vintage feel of the kettle. Now all you need is two more kettles and a couple more kegs! Unless you seldomly brew or only want 1 beer on tap at a time...

looks really nice. I would never have thought of turning a kerosene can into a tower. How do you cool the line up to the tap?

do you plan on adding more taps?

I like what you did with the metal racks

I would like to add more taps after a while, but for right now, going to stick with one. When I decide to add another tap, I am going to find an old vintage red toolbox with a hinged top to run taps from if I keep this fridge. My next project may be a keezer, but we will see. The inside of the fridge is not as deep as I had wanted, and since I use it as a garage fridge, I like to keep other things like water and occasionally soda in there too. May have to build a bottom shelf for other things so I can put more kegs on top of that!

I actually don't insulate the 5" or so of line from the inside of the fridge to the tap. I have heard that some folks do, but so far I have not seen any ill effects from not doing it. Is there a gain from doing so? If there is, I have some left over line insulation from the line inside of the fridge that may help... Any thoughts would be appreciated

mccumath said:

Older Kelvinator fridge with the freezer built into the inside the fridge. Did not want to put a tap too low, so figured I would make my own tower. Looked for an old red toolbox, but could not find one, so I went for the old kerosene can instead. Fabricated a frame out of wood inside the bottom of the kerosene can to mount the wooden base seen in the picture; made it much easier to mount to the top of the fridge. Because of the location of the freezer, had to run pipe insulation from Lowes around the beer distribution line between the freezer portion and the inside wall of the fridge to keep it from freezing. So far, so good. Cut the wire racks so the the keg would fit nicely without sacrificing all of the shelving space (they don't make things like they used to... cant find many fridges with solid metal shelving these days). Need to find some clips to mount the gas/beer lines to the inside wall of the fridge to keep things tidy, but all in due time. Awaiting the temp controller from the E-bay temperature controller build thread (thanks android!), which will just about finish the kegerator.

Looks nice. You just need more taps. Lol. I have three and I am wishing I had more. I love making beer

Finally broke down and converted my mini beer fridge into a kegerator this weekend... Had batches of a hybrid Blind Pig/Pliny IPA clone and a pumpkin ale ready for the occasion.

Pretty stoked because we're having an Oktoberfest party next weekend and we'll be able to have my homebrews on tap.

Bending the freezer down was no chore at all (had me nervous though). I let the fridge thaw for a couple days and bent it down at room temp - no kinks or anything.

My thermostat cable was very short, so I soldered in a 12 inch extension. The two ball lock kegs fit perfectly as well as a 10 lb. CO2 tank behind them (was debating 5 vs. 10 - just go with 10. It will fit!)

I want to give a big thanks to both Walker and DavidP here on the boards - their posts helped my kegerator conversion go very smoothly.

Here's the final result:

5aqmtg.jpg

16ksu2g.jpg

Finally broke down and converted my mini beer fridge into a kegerator this weekend... Had batches of a hybrid Blind Pig/Pliny IPA clone and a pumpkin ale ready for the occasion.

Pretty stoked because we're having an Oktoberfest party next weekend and we'll be able to have my homebrews on tap.

Bending the freezer down was no chore at all (had me nervous though). I let the fridge thaw for a couple days and bent it down at room temp - no kinks or anything.

My thermostat cable was very short, so I soldered in a 12 inch extension. The two ball lock kegs fit perfectly as well as a 10 lb. CO2 tank behind them (was debating 5 vs. 10 - just go with 10. It will fit!)

I want to give a big thanks to both Walker and DavidP here on the boards - their posts helped my kegerator conversion go very smoothly.

Here's the final result:

5aqmtg.jpg

16ksu2g.jpg

Where are the handles from? Are they glass or acrylic?

Where are the handles from? Are they glass or acrylic?

The tap handles are hand blown glass attached to Perlick 525SS faucets.

I bought the tap handles form a booth at the Stone 15th Annv. Beer Fest this year. Here's the guy's website, truly unique work:

http://www.liquidglassco.com/

The look just like nice pieces used for one of my other favorite vices...

Looks good. Why not put the CO2 tank inside the fridge? It looks a lot cleaner and you have plenty of room inside.

Takes up valuable space in the fridge. Barely enough room for another keg, so it would be tough to get keg + bottle in there. Next build will have to be a keezer for sure.

keger.jpg

Nothing special yet, but I just got it and I am excited. Plan to add one or 2 more taps and some chalkboard paint on the wall behind it to know whats on tap. Was thinking about making my own wooden handles too.

I keep looking at all of the larger projects and keep wondering "Who is going to be the first to build a keezer into an old upright piano?"

cyberbackpacker said:
Like your kegerator countertop! What is it, and how did you stain/lacquer it?

Thanks!

The top I bought from menards. It is a 30 x 60 x 1" thick countertop I believe is oak that came unfinished. I routed the edges and stained the top with Minwax Jacobean. I went over it with a satin polyurethane from Minwax as well.

Finally painted the base of the kegerator with the flat black magnetic chalkboard paint and got the drip trays.

Still needs a few more coats of paint to be more magnetic.

HOLY Crap! That thing is bad@$$ .

I regret to inform you that you are in direct violation of making me jealous. In order to avoid a fine I will come and take that off your hands LOL.

I don't have room for something that big in my apartment though.

I am going to start working on a mini fridge conversion over the winter .

Nice work I am a sucker for flat black.

HOLY Crap! That thing is bad@$$ .

I regret to inform you that you are in direct violation of making me jealous. In order to avoid a fine I will come and take that off your hands LOL.

I don't have room for something that big in my apartment though.

I am going to start working on a mini fridge conversion over the winter .

Nice work I am a sucker for flat black.

Haha, thanks! It is slightly big but works nicely in the basement for now. It holds 8 pin locks and about a case of beer inside. Mini fridge conversions are great for space and still look great. Can't wait to see your finished product. :mug:

Here's mine, still needs some finishing touches. The freezer door is chalkboard paint and I'm thinking of doing the main door the same....any comments? Also, still trying to figure out a type of door handle or I might just forgoe the handles all together. This is my first build and won't be the last, just waiting for the right offer from a couple buddies so I can upgrade to some nicer gear. And yes, this is in my kitchen next to the stainless.....GF loves it :cross:

IMAG0017.jpg

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted here, even though my build ended up not being a keezer I got so much inspiration from all of your designs and builds that my mental wheels were constantly spinning.

The creativity and ingenuity involved with some of these contraptions is enough to boggle me, not to mention the willingness to throw caution to the wind and drill through random walls and doors.

Thanks again!

Cheers, Ian

Finally painted the base of the kegerator with the flat black magnetic chalkboard paint and got the drip trays.

Still needs a few more coats of paint to be more magnetic.

Quite nice, The top is what I wanted to do with my keezer, but went a different route. I love the staining and the flat black. Well done.

Hello All

Let me first thank ALL of you for the amazing keezer ideas that everyone has shared. Many elements from the weeks of lurking on HBT have found their way onto my new toy, and I owe this forum a huge thanks!

Went with the Kenmore 8.8. Couldnt manage to keep it simple either, as is a common problem of mine. However, I'm sure the folks over at Visa arent complaining. Thanks again for all the wonderful ideas that kicked off 3 weeks of obsessive insomnia!

2011-10-16_19-14-46_310.jpg

2011-10-16_19-15-29_338.jpg

2011-09-29_14-54-43_992.jpg

2011-09-29_14-57-01_83.jpg

2011-10-04_18-11-06_847.jpg

Quite the first post ranger. One of the slickest looking builds I have seen. I like the tile and hanging beer indicators.

Quite the first post ranger. One of the slickest looking builds I have seen. I like the tile and hanging beer indicators.

Thanks! Thats nice to hear considering the other excellent builds that came before me. The tile was a pretty risky undertaking as I had zero experience laying it. I used about 32oz of Parks Super Coat to lay down a nice thick 1/8" layer of clear epoxy over the tile. Definitely will keep the stout out of the grout. :D

Very nice, Ranger! VERY sanitary! I like the illumination. That'll come in handy for when the rest of the lights in the house are off and you feel you have to have just ONE MORE stout! A beer beacon.

Hi,

Looking for a fridge for my cornie keg and the Sanyo 4912 seems to be the one. If I can't find one of those, what are the other options? Is there a list somewhere on the forum of suitable fridges? I'm looking for a small fridge, not a full size one. Thanks!

Tom2365 said:
Hi,

Looking for a fridge for my cornie keg and the Sanyo 4912 seems to be the one. If I can't find one of those, what are the other options? Is there a list somewhere on the forum of suitable fridges? I'm looking for a small fridge, not a full size one. Thanks!

I'd suggest looking on craigslist, you can usually pick one up for free, or maybe $50-100. I got a $500 15 cu ft chest freezer for $90! Otherwise you can get one brand new from home dept or lowes for a few hundred bucks.

Chest freezers tend to have a little more room in them, so I would definitely consider going that route, so you can always expand your setup, but with a chest freezer, you just have to get a temp controller to keep it above freezing, and at serving temps, which will run you another $50(but do some research on that, because there are some other options you may consider for temp control, that may save you a few bucks). Theres also a thread on here called "sizing your chest freezer", that shows different models and how many kegs they fit. See if you can find it doing a search, otherwise I can link it on here later. Good luck.

Thanks. I've checked craigslist and nothing so far. Are there any others commonly known to work? Most mini-fridges that appear tall enough have a freezer, which is a difficult thing to remove without destroying the entire fridge, I'm told.

Back