Oak and Dry Hop Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to brew an Oak IPA and I tend to dry hop the living $#!@ out of my IPA's and I'm wondering the best way to go about this with the oak.

I found one small thread in the archive but I'd like some more opinions. I'm thinking that I would let the brew go through primary fermentation for a couple of weeks, rack it onto the oak for a yet to be determined length of time (not long, probably a week or so- i'm going for subtle oak. I realize the length of time means nothing without considering the amount and type of oak).

Then I would rack 1 more time and dry hop. I'm figuring the hop aroma will fade much quicker than the oak. Is this how you would do it? The other option I considered was dry hopping heavily in primary towards the end so it doesn't get scrubbed out and then just racking to oak.

Thoughts?

why not dry hop and oak at the same time if you're only leaving the beer on the oak for a week or so?

If you think there is potential for having to leave it on the oak for longer, then I would go with your original plan - oak to taste first and then dry hop before kegging/bottling.

why not dry hop and oak at the same time if you're only leaving the beer on the oak for a week or so?

If you think there is potential for having to leave it on the oak for longer, then I would go with your original plan - oak to taste first and then dry hop before kegging/bottling.

Yea I guess that's a good suggestion. I don't know why I felt like I didn't want to do both at the same time but that would certainly be easier. Probably wouldn't want it on the oak longer than a week anyway if I go with 4 oz. of american, right?

Back