Another glass carboy casualty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomr

Reaction score
Had a 6.5 break on me today, but this is not going to sway me from using glass carboy's. Just have to fill the kettle a different way, but figured that out while waiting to get some stiches. All I can say is, guy's & gal's please becareful, this could have had a much worse ending.

Ouch... how did you break it? Oh and you are required to present pictures of the damage once the bleeding is under control. :p

Here ya go. May not be for the faint of heart, if not operate, mods please remove.

arm1.jpg

arm2.jpg

Ouch, glad you're okay and it's not any worse. Sorry you lost the beer too.

Thanks, lucky in that regard, no beer lost.
Was using the carboy to fill the kettle with water.
Just got all grain set up done, & was doing a mock run thru with water.

Ouch. BTW, that round flap with stitches will die and turn into an impressive scab very similar to a piece of pepperoni. At least mine did. On my forehead.

The doc was 50/50 on the flappy thing. We thought, worse thing is it scabs over and falls off. If it reattaches & heals, cool.

I had a Wheat ale clog the airlock and explode in my kitchen once. Glass stuck in the wall 10 ft away.

Sorry to hear about your casualty.

The doc was 50/50 on the flappy thing. We thought, worse thing is it scabs over and falls off. If it reattaches & heals, cool.

I was thinking the same thing...it looks kind of ischemic on your initial picture, but it's still nature's band-aid, and you're better off with a skin flap covering the wound than not...

Ouch. BTW, that round flap with stitches will die and turn into an impressive scab very similar to a piece of pepperoni. At least mine did. On my forehead.

Ouch. Bottle bomb or something? I'm guessing it healed just fine?

Boomr, gnarly wound. Glad you're okay!

but this is not going to sway me from using glass carboy's:

confused:

What exactly would it take to sway you?

but this is not going to sway me from using glass carboy's:

confused:

What exactly would it take to sway you?

I haven't had any problems with the carboy's themselves.
This broke because of my carelessness, & not paying attention to what I was doing.
I have come up with a better method of filling my kettle, not to mention, once the fermentation has started I don't move the carboy.
I do like to be able to look at the wort/beer during fermentation, & I'm not entirely sold on the plastic aspect yet.

I'm totally sold on glass... bake ware, jugs, glasses, pitchers, etc. I prefer it for most everything even though you risk the occasional shatter and/or cut. So much easier to keep clean and almost impossible to stain or warp or corrode unlike plastics or metal.

I almost lost a 3-gallon carboy today....

Slipped out of my hand while rinsing out - thankfully the other hand held tight on the attached handle and I was able to dance a little jig to get out of the way as it swung towards my knee....

I almost lost a 3-gallon carboy today....

Slipped out of my hand while rinsing out - thankfully the other hand held tight on the attached handle and I was able to dance a little jig to get out of the way as it swung towards my knee....

I've been bit a couple times so I have a pretty healthy "grenade response" to dropping/slipping glass. I get the heck out of the way, lol. I'm usually pretty careful handling them though so don't often have slippage.

My glass story...... I was putting ice in a glass once to drink a soda. The ice chunk was a bit too large so I whacked it with the palm of my hand while it was in the glass to break it up a little. The bottom broke out of the glass and slick as a razor severed the end of my second toe off about halfway down the nail. The only thing holding it was a piece of skin on the side. You could flip it over just like opening a zippo lighter top. Grabbed some super glue and tape and stuck it back together. Believe it or not, no stitches and it reattached and healed up fine.

My glass story...... I was putting ice in a glass once to drink a soda. The ice chunk was a bit too large so I whacked it with the palm of my hand while it was in the glass to break it up a little. The bottom broke out of the glass and slick as a razor severed the end of my second toe off about halfway down the nail. The only thing holding it was a piece of skin on the side. You could flip it over just like opening a zippo lighter top. Grabbed some super glue and tape and stuck it back together. Believe it or not, no stitches and it reattached and healed up fine.

I have used super glue a couple of times in the last 25 years or so to repair a cut. I know it is not as sanitary as the stuff they use at the hospital, but why spend 4 + hours in ER when all they care about is your insurance card.

Yeah those cuts that look worse than they are... you know the ones... the bleeders. Super glue is awesome for those.

My best story along that vein (pun intended) is back in my late teen years I worked as a stockboy in a grocery store. Come in at 2-3 in the AM and work until noon or so.

Anyway, came in off of like zero sleep and a couple brews to unload my frozen food truck. Slam out the pallets and start stocking. Back then there were no safety blades just what was pretty much a razor held in a folded piece of metal. I opened it to cut a box and, with thumb on the back, ran it over a box to open it... didn't open. Hrm, blade must be dull... could've sworn I changed it out when I came in. Put some more force on it and run it down again... no luck.

Look down at the blade and I was holding it backwards. The brand new razor (I had changed it) was now firmly embedded in the bone of my thumb. Amazingly there was little blood until I went back to the bathroom and pried it loose. It looked like something out of a slasher flick in there by the time I had it closed up, lol.

Super glue worked wonders.

I have used super glue a couple of times in the last 25 years or so to repair a cut. I know it is not as sanitary as the stuff they use at the hospital, but why spend 4 + hours in ER when all they care about is your insurance card.

Speaking of that stuff, I thought I read somewhere a few months ago, that someone was going to market a retail non-script version of that sterile glue.

Did anyone else hear that, or was that a homebrew induced drunken stuper?

john

Back