Please help me fix my batch of cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaevan

Reaction score
I just made five gallons of cider with five campden tablets and accidentally added the yeast before 24 hours. How do I fix this? Should I add more tablets or yeast in a day or two? Did I ruin my cider? Oh no!

1st I would wait and see if u actually killed the yeast maybe another 12 to 24 hours. If nothing seems to be happening re pitch some yeast and you should be fine.

I am curious of where you got your juice; was it bought from a store; was it pasteurized; or was it the fresh pressed orchard stuff. If it was stuff that was pasteurized I wouldn't mess with sulfites, the juice is already sterile. If it was the fresh orchard un-pastuerized...my thoughts on sulfiting is not to do it unless it is absolutely necessary. Even if it was un-pasteurized juice I would have just pitched the yeast on it. Keeping in mind the pitch rate should be big enough for a fast fermentation.

Keep in mind to be sanitized your self.

my juice source is local cider that was flash pasteurized, no preservatives.

my juice source is local cider that was flash pasteurized, no preservatives.
What where you hoping to accomplish by adding the campden to this must? If it's been pasteurized there shouldn't be any wild organisms to suppress prior to pitching your own yeast.

Back