Yeast not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I started a batch of elderflower wine last night. I added yeast and nutrient. 24 hours later no sign of the yeast doing anything. I usually see something happening within 12 hours.

I am wondering if I did not let the liquid cool down enough before I added yeast. Also, I did not let the yeast sit on the top for 15 minutes as I usually do. I also used an opened packet of yeast so wonder if I did not reseal it properly and if this could adversely affect.

Anyhow, if I add yeast and nutrient tomorrow, 48 hours after I should have, will everything likely turn out okay? Could the must have gone bad left 48 hours without yeast?

Any help much appreciated.

Ross

If you added Camden to the must you need to let all the sulfites gas off over a 24 hour period before pitching yeast. If you pitched the Camden and yeast at the same time then the yeast is probably not all lost but it will need help to get going now.

Aeration aeration aeration is what is needed. If you have a pure O2 system to aerate then awesome. If not then a wine whip or in a pinch a straitened out and slightly bent coat hanger chucked into a drill will aerate the wine well. Just whip this up 2 - 3 times a day and the yeast should pick up. Be patient and give this about 3 days. If there is still no action then try and pitch a new yeast.

Thanks Arpolis. That's is very helpful to know. I will remember that.

Unfortunately I do not have a wine whip or a drill. I am guessing just stirring lots will not help?

Is there any harm in me just adding yeast tomorrow?

As long as you are adding the same yeast strain as you originally added then there is no harm in adding more tomorrow. Stirring lots can help if you can whip some bubbles into the wine. I am a patient guy though and prefer to try and let the original yeast take over rather than pitching additional yeast. Then again I like to keep skeeter pee on hand all the time. And that recipe takes a minimum of 30 to 48 hours before you see yeast activity and that is after a 24 hour rest period on the must before you pitch the yeast.

Adding an opened yeast packet may mean adding dead yeast, unfortunately. Once the package is opened, it's only viable for a couple of days since it absorbs moisture and ruins the yeast. Normally, one full package is the amount used for 1-6 gallons so there isn't any reason to use a partial package or save a partial package.

I'd stir well to add oxygen, and add more yeast. Buy several packages, to have some in the fridge, as it keeps well (for years) unopened in the fridge just in case you ever need it. Wine yeast is about .79 cents a pack at most homebrew stores.

Thanks guys. I may wait a bit then. I was more concerned that without active yeast the must may go off. Is that a valid concern?

The yeast I brought was "all purpose white". By same strain you mean that I just need to buy this same all purpose white again?

Kind regards,

Ross

Back