Post Hops Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinal_Tap

Reaction score
Hey all,

Last year a buddy gave me a Centennial rhizome to plant, and it did great here in Chicago. I had to train it and prune it from time to time, but I got a ton of hops from it.

My question is more about after the harvest.

Once I pluck the cones from the vine, I put them in the dehydrator until they're nice and dry.

The problem is, they still take up the same amount of space. So when they're done drying, I pour them into a big bowl, and essentially crush them in my fists. Then I put them into bags and vacuum seal them, then into the freezer they go.

My question is: How do you guys/gals reduce the size after dehydration? I'm sure my method of crunching them up in my hands loses a ton of the oils (because my hands are stained and stinking until I've washed them 20 times).

How do you reduce the volume of your hops before you vacuum seal them?

Thanks!

^ That. I made up a crapton of one ounce vacuum packets that are each flat as a pancake and just about as thick. They stack up in the freezer really well...

Cheers!

Back