How to (did you) upgrade your keg system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am looking for Santa to upgrade my kegging system, but I am not sure how best to approach it. Probably have $200-$250 for the upgrade.

Current Setup: A little over a year ago I purchased a 2 keg system with dual regulator (see kegconnections 2keg picnip setup with dual regulator) so I could have two different serving pressures. I use 2 picnic taps. I now have 4 kegs, and when they are all full and in the fridge, which they currently are I just disconnect liquid and gas hoses when I want one of the beers not on line (getting tired of it and im lazy). So far having the two serving pressures has worked out well. I don't brew wits (or other high Co2 volume beers) very often, and the last time I did, I force carbed for a party and kicked it in a weekend. So I generally have one setup for 2.5 volumes and the other for around 2.

Future Wants: 4 Gas connections, some faucets coming out the front of the fridge

The question I have is how should I approach the upgrade with my existing parts. The gas lines coming off of the 2 regulators are secured to a barbed shutoff valve with an oetiker clamp and are 4' feet long. A little long to connect a manifold or splitter - guess I could cut it and attach a swivel nut to the two ends. Also, what are your thoughts on getting two wye splitters vs getting a 3-way manifold - guess it depends on how flexible i need with serving pressures... Another thing - I fit all 4 pin lock kegs and the CO2 tank in the fridge, I want to be able to easily access all the lines/

I also want to get some perlick faucet setups, but not sure how many i should get/the budget can afford. It would be awesome to have 4, but that would blow the budget in and of itself

Ok, so if you didn't feel like reading all of the above, how did you upgrade your system. What would you do differently if you could redo it?

I have a 4 tap system. I went with a 4 way manifold and 4 perlick taps on my keezer build. I dont care about different serving pressures. So it was an easy decision for me.

The best upgrade I made was getting four taps. I used to use the picnic taps inside the fridge. I bought a 5-port manifold (I use the extra for purging/ect). It would not be difficult to rig up a manifold with some plumbing fittings and soldering if you want to save a few coins there. I'd get the taps...the rest will then fall into place.

I cut the gas line and tee'd it to two swivel nuts/QDs. I just had to buy the T, a few feet if gas tubing, and some hose clamps. I also bought two 2packs of faucets on amazon for $60 per pair (because I didn't have the budget for Perlicks). Everything works awesomely.

So my way isn't fancy, nor is it trashy, but total cost is probably $160.

I have a 4 tap system. I went with a 4 way manifold and 4 perlick taps on my keezer build. I dont care about different serving pressures. So it was an easy decision for me.
Yes, unfortunately I LOVE having some flexibility. I wish my mind would not care :)

The best upgrade I made was getting four taps. I used to use the picnic taps inside the fridge. I bought a 5-port manifold (I use the extra for purging/ect). It would not be difficult to rig up a manifold with some plumbing fittings and soldering if you want to save a few coins there. I'd get the taps...the rest will then fall into place.
I don't have soldering stuff, so purchasing it would negate the costs for this project. If i buy 4 taps then i would just HAVE to make the gas work :)...the wife will understand right?

I cut the gas line and tee'd it to two swivel nuts/QDs. I just had to buy the T, a few feet if gas tubing, and some hose clamps. I also bought two 2packs of faucets on amazon for $60 per pair (because I didn't have the budget for Perlicks). Everything works awesomely.

So my way isn't fancy, nor is it trashy, but total cost is probably $160.
Ya, I am not pulling pints everyday, more like once a week (per tap) so I def need to invest in the perlicks

Yes, unfortunately I LOVE having some flexibility. I wish my mind would not care :)

I don't have soldering stuff, so purchasing it would negate the costs for this project. If i buy 4 taps then i would just HAVE to make the gas work :)...the wife will understand right?

Ya, I am not pulling pints everyday, more like once a week (per tap) so I def need to invest in the perlicks

I agree: go Perlick.

I've had great luck with mine.

If you're able to, I'd also get stainless (not chrome) shanks and other components. After 2 years, my shanks are shiny on the outside, brass on the inside. It's not a problem, but I wish I had gone stainless.

I agree: go Perlick.

I've had great luck with mine.

If you're able to, I'd also get stainless (not chrome) shanks and other components. After 2 years, my shanks are shiny on the outside, brass on the inside. It's not a problem, but I wish I had gone stainless.

Def going Stainless. I think the best price right now is Birdman Brewing selling a whole perlick stainless setup for $60, probably can do 3, but not 4 on the budget

Farmhouse Brewing has the good deal on the Perlick faucets ($33.99). You still have to buy the shanks but they are only around $18 each.

Farmhouse Brewing has the good deal on the Perlick faucets ($33.99). You still have to buy the shanks but they are only around $18 each.

Roughly the same cost once you add up the tailpiece assembly, shank and tap handle. I was planning on buying some hops from them however, so maybe I will make the purchase entirely from them...

Leaning towards getting 2 wye splitters with check valves to upgrade the gas capacity. I appreciate the input...keep it coming

Go stainless perlicks & faucets. If you can't afford all 4 at once, get 2 2 way manifolds. Leave 2 kegs on picnics, other 2 can be on tap.

4 kegs 2 serving pressures, 2 faucets, room for future expansion.

Cheers!

Bought all my perlick 425's off e-bay took some time but saved a ton. I built my whole 12 tap kezzer for under a grand. Holds 14- 5gallon and 2 -3gallon kegs all on CO2 regs off e-bay and creigslist 10 of them 1 set to 30 to set my seals the rest go to kegs. Get good ones there reliable and easy to get rebuild kits for.

Bought all my perlick 425's off e-bay took some time but saved a ton. I built my whole 12 tap kezzer for under a grand. Holds 14- 5gallon and 2 -3gallon kegs all on CO2 regs off e-bay and creigslist 10 of them 1 set to 30 to set my seals the rest go to kegs. Get good ones there reliable and easy to get rebuild kits for.

Showoff... :)

What did you start off with? How long did it take you to acquire all of that and do you have pictures of the regulator setup?

My first was a fridge with taps through the door that held 4 kegs had that for 6 years upgraded to an ice cream freezer with a six tap stainless tower, when that died 2 years ago SWMBO talked me into a 20cf chest freezer (looked at the 25 wouldn't fit any more then the 20) picked up new scratch/dent at Sear's. pulled the electronics out of it and began the build that has taken us to this point, I need to finish the doors on both ends. 1 side has the gas tanks, regs, and gas mixer (blend my own Nitro) the other end holds about 40 glasses, the doors will just be framed with a perforated metal inset to allow air flow it sit on 6 casters so it's moveable (sort of) takes 2 it weights out at around 680lbs when all kegs are full, that doesn't happen ;) With the coffin built and everything functioning, 3 new job this year, hoping the last finishing touches done over the Holidays then post all pics.

I agree, perlick faucets. Even if you mount them to a board loose in the fridge and install them properly later.

Last year I added two kegs and upgraded my standard faucets to all perlicks. I decided that it would be better long term to just continue to add regulators rather than having a manifold. Best decision I've made so far.

I have a 3 tap system now, all perlicks and 3 regulators. I would highly recommend both the perlicks and the regulators. Total flexibility without the hassle of stuck faucets. It's just piece of mind.

Good luck!

Go stainless perlicks & faucets. If you can't afford all 4 at once, get 2 2 way manifolds. Leave 2 kegs on picnics, other 2 can be on tap.

4 kegs 2 serving pressures, 2 faucets, room for future expansion.

Cheers!

I was going to go with this, but I purchased on black friday, so I got some deals :ban:

I will soon have 3 perlick taps (all stainless tap/shank/etc) and 4 gas lines (2 at one pressure and 2 at another). The fourth keg will be on a picnic tap. I figured this is ok since I have pin locks and keep the CO2 tank in the fridge, so I can only fit 4 kegs in at a time anyways, and whenever I put a new one in it will be 3 weeks to carb

Will do, probably won't get to it for a few weeks or maybe not even til around Christmas. I now need to decide if I want to put the taps on the front door of my fridge or the side. Any preferences? Putting it on the front are there any issues with opening the door?

Will do, probably won't get to it for a few weeks or maybe not even til around Christmas. I now need to decide if I want to put the taps on the front door of my fridge or the side. Any preferences? Putting it on the front are there any issues with opening the door?

Yes, if your tap handles stick above the bottom of your freezer door then everytime you open the freezer it will bump your handles forward and spill all of your beer :D . However, with that said, I'm in a similar situation as you and have already put my handles as high up on the refrig door as I can. I plan on screwing in a metal 90° to the top edge of the refrigerator so that whenever the freezer door opens it also opens the refrig door. It's that or you get on your knees to serve a beer, or you use golf balls as your tap handle, or you put your refrig on stilts.:D

Yes, if your tap handles stick above the bottom of your freezer door then everytime you open the freezer it will bump your handles forward and spill all of your beer :D . However, with that said, I'm in a similar situation as you and have already put my handles as high up on the refrig door as I can. I plan on screwing in a metal 90° to the top edge of the refrigerator so that whenever the freezer door opens it also opens the refrig door. It's that or you get on your knees to serve a beer, or you use golf balls as your tap handle, or you put your refrig on stilts.:D

I had heard of this happening and definitely want to be able to open the freezer/fridge indepently of eachother. Doing some searching I would have to do research on my fridge to be sure I could drill safely in the side. I also then would always have to have two sides of the fridge accessible. Guess I will probably go with the front. I have the black plastic tap handles, and althought others would be cool, I think its a sacrifice I can make.

Go with Perlick or other forward sealing taps. I found as I went more than two faucets, there was always one beer I didn't drink as much and the faucet would stick so much that I've broken tap handles. That was all fixed with a forwards sealing tap.

I'm also a woodworker and heard the phrase, "Only the wealthy can afford cheap tools". Personally I feel the same way with faucets. I had two standard SS faucets and the third one was a Perlick. I ended up giving the two faucets away and getting another Perlicks.

I'm also a woodworker and heard the phrase, "Only the wealthy can afford cheap tools". Personally I feel the same way with faucets. I had two standard SS faucets and the third one was a Perlick. I ended up giving the two faucets away and getting another Perlicks.

The quote I heard goes, "When you buy quality, you only cry once."

I own Perlicks.

On the freezer door issue, you can attach the fridge and freezer doors to each other with a bracket. Both open at once, but you can't nail your taps with the freezer at least

I'm building mine currently, a 5 tap sears fridge. I'm just going to mount my Perlicks low enough on the door to clear the freezer. I'm making me a small pedestal to set the fridge on and it will elevate my taps and give me an opening to store empty kegs horizontally under the fridge. I really wanted a bottom freezer style, but couldn't find one. Got the fridge for free and is only 5 years old. I agree with buying the top of the line and it saves you in the end. I've been buying parts piece by piece for the year. I think your on the right track with your plan. I would mount the taps through the door. Makes it more flexible as far as room is concerned. No way I want to stoop to pour.

Latest posts

Back