Peppermint replace mint?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahallasbrew2

Reaction score
It was supposed to be a pun anyways I was just thinking about my brews and I wanna make a mead using peppermint not using peppermint extract i was thinking of using the mint altoids as a substitute could I use this? Like grind them up to a powder and mix them with water, considerably cheaper I think being a penny pincher... Would it work or no?

Not sure how the 'other' ingredients (gum arabic, etc.) would affect the situation. Overall though, original Altoids are just basically sugar and oil of peppermint. I had read somewhere that the formula was changed at some point and there are other flavorings besides just the old fashioned oil of peppermint.

FWIW, you can just buy peppermint leaves? They aren't terribly expensive, given who knows exactly how many altoids you'd need...I looked at one of my go-to websites for this sort of thing (www.wildweeds.com) and they have 4 oz for $6.

suppose you could just remember it'll be adding a bunch of other stuff to your mead than the mint oils like gum arabic, gelatin, corn syrup, modified corn starch and artificial colors. The sugar free ones are gonna give you magnesium sterate, wheat maltodextrin, probably unfementables like sorbitol and sucralose

just be cautious I'm sure some of that stuff wouldnt be real friendly to your mead

We def think alike on that. If you can find the leaves go for natural. One day I need to upload photos, I planted mint sometime ago and it went crazy. That's one that grows up north down south out west and all the rest. It's great in tea, soups, and meads, keeps away pests ( sometimes) and the more you cut it the more it grows. You gotta get some seeds!

I'm by no means a chemist or expert in any way but I'd guess it would cause issues with clearing and possibly off flavors and stuff

Back