CT Group buy round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
Since the last group buy went in a split second, I wanted to see if we could get another pallet. I can't provide a drop location, but I am willing to help however else I can. I myself will be taking 2 bags off the top of the order. Who's in?

Also, we need a person with a loading dock who can receive a pallet. Otherwise there is a charge, making it not really worth the buy. Volunteers?

I could be in for a sack o'grain; possibly 2, couple issues however
1.) don't have paypal, will pay with cash/postal money order
2.) I'm in NYC but up in CT on weekends; will iron out details when a pickup location can e determined.

Let's get this thing rolling! I have a lot of brewing to get done before the winter.

My LHBS just increased what I pay per lb by $0.30, so yea, I'm in for at least 2 sacks base malt.
If no one steps up with access to a loading dock, a friend of mine (New Britain, CT ) with a forklift, accustomed to dealing with tractor trailers, would be more than willing to help us out for a bottle or 3 of your best. ;)
I'd also be willing to help out with the warehousing and distribution of the goods if that helps get this group buy in motion.

I'm in for 4 sacks. Good point: is anyone involved who has an acct with NC?
Frank

I'd be in for... 4-6 sacks.

I need motivation to get in to all-grain, and getting the grain would certainly qualify...

It seems we have a bit of interest, but we need someone with an account and also a shipping location. Once it is official, the pallet will fill fast.

Would be handy to piggyback onto a brewery's order with our own full pallet. Wish I knew a few more brewery owners. ;)

Does anybody know the guys at Thomas Hooker?
They are a small brewery, I imagine they'd be interested in helping out homebrewers and maybe our order would help them out in return.

That's 32 bags if we take everybody's minimum commitment. Is there anyone available who has an account with a grain supplier or know someone who does that would be willing to organize this? Either we are already passed the minimum or only 8 bags away.

Guys,
I've located someone in the group who has a N Country account and who is willing to place the order for us. Now we need to decide (1) who will handle the cash and, (2) find a business shipping address with a loading dock or fork lift to receive the order.

Regarding #1 - I'm willing and have a PayPal acct, but am unfamiliar with processing $ between individuals. If someone else would like to handle this it's fine with me.

Regarding #2 - I have a friend locally (Pittsfield, MA) with the necessary shipping address & etc., but this location may not be convenient to everyone else.

I'm open to any suggestions.

What say you?

Frank (godrick)

I say woot woot!
I will be away in Germany for Oktoberfest, so I hope I don't miss out. I will be checking my email daily and should be able to transfer money as well, but if this happens fast, I would need someone to hold my sack.

ahem.

lol

I'm happy with wherever there is a pickup! Usually there are some great people who can take a few extra bags for people and meet in a mutually convienent location. Hopefully that will happen for us to help everyone out. Unfortunately, I have a little car so I can't help.

I will be busy from tonight until I land on Thursday, but I am absolutely in. Conunt me for 2 bags of US 2row.

US 2-row, 2 bags would be my interest. Please let me know how it works, never did group buy.

I am in for 3 bags.
If it helps speed this along and would help out some other members, I'm sure I could toss a few other peoples orders in the back of the truck and haul them back to central CT for pickup.

Need 42 bags to make a pallet.
So far:
godrick - 6
NuclearRich - 2
7tom - 2
brewsekerdoo - 3
ShawnZ - 1
Shecky - 2
orangehero - 3

Total = 19
Note - North Country Malt no longer sells Breiss malt

"Need 42 bags to make a pallet."

adding from earlier pages of this thread:
forcabrew - 2 "few"
SPR-GRN - 1 (possibly 2)
kappclark - 3 (and some hops)
banik - 4 (to 6)
pernox - 4 (to 8)
tomj - 8

(subtotal 22)

godrick - 6
NuclearRich - 2
7tom - 2
brewsekerdoo - 3
ShawnZ - 1
Shecky - 2
orangehero - 3

(subtotal 19) --> Total = 22 + 19 = 41 (plus the "possibly more" comments)

Good point 7tom,

forcabrew - 2 "few"
SPR-GRN - 1 (possibly 2)
banik - 4 (to 6)
pernox - 4 (to 8)
tomj - 8
godrick - 6
NuclearRich - 2
7tom - 2
brewsekerdoo - 3
ShawnZ - 1
Shecky - 2
orangehero - 3

Total = 41 !!!!

Wow!
Need everyone from the early group to please re-confirm their orders so that we can move forward!

While I appreciate everyone's effort, I am concerned with the drop off point. Is there anyway that we can find a location more centralized? Pittsfield would be a 5 - 6 hour round trip from southern ct, which offsets a lot of the savings of a group buy. I have a business in North Haven, CT with a forklift but the trip would inconvenience the western mass guys. If everyone else is ok with the pittsfield drop off point though, I would opt out. If a more centralized location is found, I can bring back anyone's grain who is closer to the new haven area in addition to my 8 bags. Hope this isn't too much of an inconvenience.
Tom

I'd definitely, heavily prefer North Haven.

I'm in Bridgeport, so a trip to MA is pretty significant.
How many people are in MA compared to CT?

In any case, I'll figure out what I'm ordering this weekend and list it.

Reply to Tom, I'm NYC area so if you can get some bags closer to NY I'd get mine from you, or better from "banik" who is even closer. How much will bags cost to purchase, not including my gas and effort to collect them?

We had 42 request if the tomj doesn't back out (peer pressure time).

godrick - 6
NuclearRich - 2
7tom - 2
brewsekerdoo - 3
ShawnZ - 1
Shecky - 2
orangehero - 3
forcabrew - 3
tomj - 8
***(need confirmation from below people)***
SPR-GRN - 1 (possibly 2)
banik - 4 (to 6 with confirmation coming this weekend)
pernox - 4 (to 8)

Total = 42

Would someone please take the lead on this and get the details and inform us, as well as send private message confirmations/details and make the order for our varied grain (and some hop) varieties. Thanks for the opportunity to get get some grain at lower cost. I'd be ordering from 50poundsack otherwise.

I did a group grain buy last february and I'm pretty sure that the prices including delivery fees from north county malt were slightly more than half the price of 50 pound sack or your LHBS. Probably $40- $45 for maris otter, $30- $35 for US 2 row.

I have a van and warehouse space to transport as much grain as possible but I just need the dropoff location to be closer than pittsfield.

For some reason we were not able to order hops with the last order, so someone may want to check if this has to be grain only. They have really good pricing on cleaning products too and the price catalog is available online.

I second the idea of north haven. Im in hamden and that is perfectly convenient. I will concede to the group, but my vote is thus cast.

So briess is not available, right? What does everyone choose for US 2-row? Great western?

Perhaps we can find a compromise between here and North Haven? If it's North Haven, I'm out.

Back