Sanke Fermentation Cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.Rinse until water runs clear
2.add hot oxyclean. Soak overnight.
3. Rinse out oxyclean
4. Add a couple gallons of water, boil for a few minutes. I tend to leave the remaining water in and cover with foil - ready for next use.
5. On brewday, add a few gallons of water and boil. Cover with foil, let cool, dump water then you're ready for wort.

Boiling twice probably isn't all that necessary (almost as necessary as posting two threads with identical posts...) but it assures me that nothing'll be growing while the fermenter is empty.

1.Rinse until water runs clear
2.add hot oxyclean. Soak overnight.
3. Rinse out oxyclean
4. Add a couple gallons of water, boil for a few minutes. I tend to leave the remaining water in and cover with foil - ready for next use.
5. On brewday, add a few gallons of water and boil. Cover with foil, let cool, dump water then you're ready for wort.

Boiling twice probably isn't all that necessary (almost as necessary as posting two threads with identical posts...) but it assures me that nothing'll be growing while the fermenter is empty.

Point well taken. I just could not decide if this was a DIY or a fermentation or a sanitary issue.

So OxyClean wont hurt the stainless?

Very similar to Curtis, except I only boil once and use PBW for cleaning. I think one of the key things is to clean the keg as soon as you've kegged/bottled your beer so that the majority of the sludge comes out easily. Assuming you're doing 10G batches, if you clean right away, then the lower 2/3 of the keg is then rinsed clean without anything dried/stuck to it. When I use the PBW, I mostly soak the keg upside down (put the spear back in temporarily). This gets any of the dried stuff inside the top domed area.

On brew day, I boil about 5 gallons of water in it while I'm mashing.

1. Recirculate ~160F PBW through a CIP spray nozzle for ~15 minutes.
  2. Rinse with ~120F water.
  3. Rinse with quat sanitizer solution and cap (store wet).
  4. On brew day, rinse with starsan.

I'm using a 15 gallon corny type keg so it's a bit different. I have greater visibility being one of the advantages. I fill the keg with hot tap water and generic oxy, leave to soak overnight and then drain and rinse with garden hose. Pretty much done until brew day when I roll it around on the floor with a gallon of sanitizer inside of it.

I don't get the need for boiling.

If you attack the cleaning right after getting the beer out, it really cleans easily.

I'm using a 15 gallon corny type keg so it's a bit different. I have greater visibility being one of the advantages. I fill the keg with hot tap water and generic oxy, leave to soak overnight and then drain and rinse with garden hose. Pretty much done until brew day when I roll it around on the floor with a gallon of sanitizer inside of it.

I don't get the need for boiling.

If you attack the cleaning right after getting the beer out, it really cleans easily.

Where can you get the 15 gal corny's, can you show a pic?
thats what I want, to be able to reach in and scrub, if needed.

http://www.sharpsvillecontainer.com/ is the company that manufactures them. I got a blemished one with crap looking welds for $200 from one of the online stores. They don't seem to sell them anymore and I would not buy from them anyway (CHI). I had a damaged part and contacted CHI & Sharpsville, CHI never answered and Sharpsville sent me extra replacements and a letter of apology for the damage. Inside sales person "Carrie" handled the replacement.

How, Pics of ur set-up?

Sorry, no good pics handy. The process is simple enough:

PVC keg stand w/ bucket -> March pump -> RIMS heater -> CIP spray nozzle

The spray nozzle is routed through the keg stand with loc-line adjustable tubing. This supports cleaning kegs of differing height (e.g., 2.5 gal, 5 gal, 15 gal, etc).

I use a 90 deg. pressure washer nozzle, and clean my kegs in less than 10 minute without heat or chemicals. I'll usually leave the keg sealed from the last use (both as a fermentor or a serving keg), and clean it when I'm ready for use. A 15 minute rinse with StarSan and it's ready to go.

Back