Immersion Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm making an immersion wort chiller today. I've heard people say it's better to have the initial cold water run from bottom to top and out while other say it's better to run top to bottom and out. What do you feel is the best flow to cool quickly and why?

i built mine top to bottom then out, there will be a temperature diff between the top and bottom of the pot unless you stir. I added a whirlpool tube to my IC, not for the whirlpool effect but to keep wort moving around the chiller so it cools evenly and doesn't require stirring or moving the chiller to cool faster.
I'd add the whirlpool attachment now while you are building it so if you want to use it later it's ready to go.

Here's mine

How do I add a whirlpool attachment? I'll be working with 1/4 in soft coil copper piping.

i built mine top to bottom then out, there will be a temperature diff between the top and bottom of the pot unless you stir. I added a whirlpool tube to my IC, not for the whirlpool effect but to keep wort moving around the chiller so it cools evenly and doesn't require stirring or moving the chiller to cool faster.
I'd add the whirlpool attachment now while you are building it so if you want to use it later it's ready to go.

Here's mine

Nice Chiller.... Where's my residual? :rockin:

Mylo

have to do a 50' 1/2" chiller. cuts a lot of chilling time off each brew. got mine off craigslist for $20 a long time ago, and it works great
Xmas.gif

Back