keg repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My keg plug on the liquid side is leaking from the small center plug. There's a tiny dent in the center plug part. If I use my fingernail to adjust it I can seal it off. If I attach a hose w/ faucet, I can also stop the leak. BUT I want to repair it. Can I rebuild them or do I need to replace them. Thanks Charlie

The little doo-dad in the center is called a "poppet". It's got a little rubber seal that is supposed to seal against the bottom of the "post", which is the thing your quick connect snaps onto.

If the post is nicked, preventing the poppet from sealing, you'll probably need to replace both. I'm in the same boat with a couple of kegs.

-Joe

The little doo-dad in the center is called a "poppet". It's got a little rubber seal that is supposed to seal against the bottom of the "post", which is the thing your quick connect snaps onto.

If the post is nicked, preventing the poppet from sealing, you'll probably need to replace both. I'm in the same boat with a couple of kegs.

-Joe

So I should unscrew the entire plug, under this plug is the poppet. Does the poppet fall out or does it need unscrewing. The keg in question has 5 gallons of beer so I want to open it up, replace/rebuild quickly, reseal and carb. Thanks Charlie

So I should unscrew the entire plug, under this plug is the poppet. Does the poppet fall out or does it need unscrewing. The keg in question has 5 gallons of beer so I want to open it up, replace/rebuild quickly, reseal and carb. Thanks Charlie
Yep, unscrew the post and the poppet may or may not fall out. Most of mine have been stuck in there, but it's just a friction fit. The poppet has 3 feet that stick inside the post sometimes. I use a dental pick to fish it out. I'm sure small needle-nose pliers would work, too.

-Joe

Just to be safe, I'd get a new post and poppet assembly, and just replace the whole thing. For like $5 or $6, it's not worth trying to rebuild if the thing is dented.

Back