Nelson Sauvignon hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great hops, somewhat unlike everything else, but not totally. Also, it's Nelson Sauvin, not Sauvignon. Try them.

Seems like every time I find a "great" new beer I like, I go to there website and of course...this hop shows up.

Ølbart said:
Great hops, somewhat unlike everything else, but not totally. Also, it's Nelson Sauvin, not Sauvignon. Try them.

It's funny you say that. They gave the name sauvin as a tip of the cap to the almost fruity winey Sauvignon qualities the hops have.

To get an idea of the flavor and aroma, try Widmar Imperial Nelson IPA. It uses only Nelson for flavor and aroma afaik. Really, really good beer. In fact I'm having one now.

Nateo said:
Seriously though, they're terrible hops. Just send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you.

You sneaky bastard....... What he really means is send them to me. I'm the official sauvin disposal station. The one and ONLY

To get an idea of the flavor and aroma, try Widmar Imperial Nelson IPA. It uses only Nelson for flavor and aroma afaik. Really, really good beer. In fact I'm having one now.

Several Widmer IPAs use Nelson...check out there site, most are simply fantastic...but Krapht is spot on, if you want to see what it taste like, grab a bottle

Absolute favorite was the Mikkeller Single-Hop Nelson Sauvin. That's what introduced me to the hop, and it is still the best use of them to date IMO.

That said, I put them into a barleywine and it was fantastic. The recipe is in my sig.

They're hard to find. I bought a pound from some brew store in the PNW I'd never heard of before. Can't remember their name. They were about 3x as expensive as the hops I usually buy (I mostly use domestic Magnum, and domestic Hallertau mimics).

Because this hop is high alpha I've heard it considered a dual purpose hop but in my opinion you'd be wasting it as a bittering hop. It's super aroma and flavour (some say grape, I wouldn't go that far away from saying it's super citrus grape) are better used at the end of boil.

Did a black IPA with nelson, simcoe, galaxy and centennial. The aroma was off the charts, almost smelled like strawberries. I am finishing up a pale ale with simcoe, nelson and amarillo. I was kind of not digging it at first but after a week or two it is mellowing into something real nice. A citrus bomb for sure. Nelson does warrant some restraint as it is very powerful and can get a little out of hand fast.

The best wit I've made to date used an ounce or so at -10min for the only hop addition. The high alpha means you can get a lot of bitterness by adding them late in the boil.

Back