German Fest Stein Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
Who else has entered this competition? I brewed up a 3B Octoberfest/Märzen at the end of March that I entered. I think it's good enough to place but we'll see what the judges think in the upcoming weeks. This is also my first time entering a competition so I'm excited about getting feedback.

Didn't even know about it.

I'm here looking to see who's going to the brewfest this weekend. It's not a great fest, but I missed firkin fest, and... beer.

I was out of town for Firkin Fest and I work during the one on the lakefront. The only one I get to annually is the Mid Winter at the Ale House.

I have 4 in - Oktoberfest, helles, Dortmunder, Bo-Pils. I think the first 3 are pretty good, but the Bo-pils is not as good as my normal pils. I experimented on it with 2 oz. dry hop with Sazz...... ended up "grassy" I think. We will see I guess.
One of my favorite comps. though - well run, and I am a big fan of german lagers so it is cool that the competition is focused on german styles only.

I have a Vienna lager in it. I'm also helping as a steward. Love this competition, too, great for German beer lovers.

Wife and I are doing a little quality control on two of the entries - Bohemian Pilsner and Oktoberfest. Pilsner has gotten better since I used gelatin on it a month ago, but still sort of grassy.... last time I dry hop a pilsner:)

pils:oktober.jpg

I'm looking forward to going on Sunday for the award ceremony. Even though I already had my tickets, it was pretty awesome to get two more in the mail from the Stein Challenge.

Congrats - nice job!

I had a 3rd place Helles.

Oktoberfest and Dortmunder got crushed with 26's.... Not sure what the deal is there. Thought both of those were solid beers. The pilsner I did not like scored a 39, but did not place.... which surprised me (the 39 that is).

Will be interested to see the comments sheets. This is probably as far off as I have ever been on the the impressions of beers I have sent into a comp. So, I must be missing something.

39 in the light lagers was quite good based on what I was seeing. Can't guarantee it since I have no way of knowing whose beer was who's, but that probably made mini-BOS. Mid to high 20s was average for most categories from what I was seeing.

Oh yeah.... the 39 was great, I just thought that one would be the 26 instead, and the other two would have done better. I don't know what to make of my Dortmunder right now - I have brewed it twice, same recipe, turned out the same - and entered it 4 times. Twice it scored over 40 and won, the other two times it scored 23 and this 26...... hoping these comments shed some light on what I am doing wrong with it.

I've had the same problem, although not as extreme, with my dortmunder. It scored a 39 at Germanfest and took second. In two other recent large comps, it scored a 30 and a 34. I'm really looking forward to comparing scoresheets from all three competitions.

My doppelbock scored a 38 and did not place, which is slightly disappointing.

mlakota said:
Scores are up, I ended up taking first in Amber Lagers. Pretty excited about that:D

Congrats! My Oktoberfest scored 37. To be honest, I'm a little sad I didn't place. I thought it was a really good beer. This was my first competition and I definitely want to start entering more.

I had 3 entries, a dusseldorf alt, Vienna and a specialty. The last was the beer I served at my wedding, a strawberry hefeweizen.

I'm disappointed the alt scored a 31.5, I thought it was my best entry.

Vienna got a 32, and went on to mini bos.

My wedding brew surprised me at 39. It's been bottled for 5 months, and I'm very happy with that score. Didn't think it was fresh enough, I entered that one just cause I had a few leftovers.

I love Germanfest, wife and I take the kids every year. Grandpa goes as well, and the high point is the annual pig head.

Maybe next year I'll do a bit better in the comp.

Congrats! My Oktoberfest scored 37. To be honest, I'm a little sad I didn't place. I thought it was a really good beer. This was my first competition and I definitely want to start entering more.

Dont be dejected the competition was very good this year.

My O'Fest was the one that beat you out for 3rd place and scored a 36. If you look at the wining entries two Viennas took 1-2 with mine taking third as the only Oktoberfest to place.. Nice job mlakota! Care to share your Vienna recipe?

I was stewarding as well on Saturday.

I had a Munich Dunkel that scored 41 and did not place with three Doppelbocks taking 1-3.

Nice job mlakota! Care to share your Vienna recipe?

Thanks Bob.

72.0% Vienna
22.7% Munich
4.6% Crystal 40
0.7% Carafa Special II

1 oz Hallertauer (4.3% AA) @60
1 oz Hallertauer (4.3% AA) @25

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.015
IBU: 23

Mash at 151 for 60 minutes. Cooled wort to 46 and pitched yeast. Let rise to 50 and held for 14 days. Raise to 62 for D rest 3 days. Lower temp 3-4 degrees a day to 36 and lager for 5 weeks. I kegged and carbonated to about 2.4 volumes.

good job everybody! i thought about shipping up a couple beers but never got around to it.

i think homebrewers that are making german styles are generally the very good homebrewers, so i imagine the competition was very tight.

Latest posts

Back