cleaning cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinoceroceros

Reaction score
Just bought a couple cornie kegs from a friend and figured I should clean them so all I have to worry about is sanitizing later. All I have is oxyclean, I assume this will work for cleaning them, since they are SS but thought I would go to the experts first...
Also any keg wisdom that can be passed along would be great!

Fill them with a 1/2 cupful of oxyclean free and as hot of tap water as you can get, then let it sit for a couple or hours. Rinse and you're probably done. They sell keg brushes too.

Tear them down completely before you use them the first time, change all of the o-rings and use a dip tube brush. After doing this before the first use you won't need to do it again for a long time. I do this to every new keg I get.

Monster Mash said:
Tear them down completely before you use them the first time, change all of the o-rings and use a dip tube brush. After doing this before the first use you won't need to do it again for a long time. I do this to every new keg I get.

I wish you would have said "fill them with beer, it cleans while it carbs!" All this work you suggest I do sounds like not a lot of fun...

But seriously, can I get the o-rings and brush at my LHBS or is it normally something that needs to be ordered? I am anxious to start using them but I need a way to keep them at serving temperature anyway so I might as well get them clean In the mean time

Get some PBW (powdered brewery wash) while your at the HBS. The stuff is awesome for cleaning kegs, carboys, beer lines, etc.

You can also use a carboy brush instead of buying a keg brush. Unless you have skinny arms of course.

I made one of these - 1/2" PVC and a toilet bowl brush (NEW) and a few SS flathead screws and it helps a lot with cleaning (arm won't get stuck!).

CornyBrush01r.jpg

Back