Group Buy in Chicago #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do we set the cutoff for this current buy?

• Close it on Monday, October 8, 2012 11:59 PM

• Close it when we reach 164 sacks?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One person submits the full sack. All parties involved settle up to the one that submitted the order.

Also is anyone interested in Summit? I would only want a pound to experiment with since I've never used it. My apartment mates are going to kill me for using all the freezer space. Need to brew some more IPAs to clear out some room.

TheBreweryUnderground said:
Also is anyone interested in Summit? I would only want a pound to experiment with since I've never used it. My apartment mates are going to kill me for using all the freezer space. Need to brew some more IPAs to clear out some room.

I wouldn't mind piggybacking on a lb of summit

Summit is intense! It has a really funky garlic/onion smell. I only use it for bittering at a 60 minute addition. Any late additions and you'll have a pizza beer!

Also here is the updated list for my Nelson Sauvin order, please make sure it is correct.

Ylpaul2000. 2
bmason1623. 2
TheOneBuz. 1
Kieran. 2
Wegz15. 2
Thirst T. 1
Docgineer. 1

Sudsmcgee, and JBCSL all wanted a pound but didn't fit on my order.

I signed up on the chicagobrewers site but never got an email back. I would like a sack of Maris Otter, if possible.

For what it's worth I'd be fine with 4 way split. I am just psyched to be getting a bunch of grain! This winter has just become bearable. Bring it on!! -- I'll be in the garage brewin' . :ban:

Hey do you guys have all 4 for the split? I'd be in for a 1/4 if it's there?
Mike

Also here is the updated list for my Nelson Sauvin order, please make sure it is correct.

Ylpaul2000. 2
bmason1623. 3
TheOneBuz. 1
Kieran. 2
Wegz15. 2
Thirst T. 1

Docgineer, Sudsmcgee, and JBCSL all wanted a pound but didn't fit on my order.

Put me down for 2 pounds only. Someone else can have a pound.

can i get in on the Pacific Jade split? I'll gladly take 2 pounds of that if available.

Sorry I'm on a tablet...I only see pages no post #'s ... Bill as ghoti just stated I picked up your request, and if you really want the 2 I'll reduce mine for you.

Sorry I'm on a tablet...I only see pages no post #'s ... Bill as ghoti just stated I picked up your request, and if you really want the 2 I'll reduce mine for you.

no worries, Neopol, one pound is good. but thank you for offering.

I have a question that I would like the group to debate and answer. Should people who are only in the group buys for items other than grain be allowed to participate? I'm on the fence for reasons I will not discuss. I would like to know what others think?

There is very limited space for the extra "rider" items on the pallets, I think that space should go to those buying grain and paying the shipping charges. If there is extra space at the end of the buy, then allow others in.

bmason1623 said:
I have a question that I would like the group to debate and answer. Should people who are only in the group buys for items other than grain be allowed to participate? I'm on the fence for reasons I will not discuss. I would like to know what others think?

As a one time previous participant, I think that I may lack some information to make an educated decision here One of my first thoughts would be that if someone purchased grain in the previous buy, then it would be ok to not buy grain in the next and get other supplies I would be interested in hearing more of your thoughts though, as you are the catalyst for so many of us getting to brew to our hearts delight

bmason1623 said:

I'm ok with the idea, it just means that those that want other items must at least split some grain. I could see it being an issue for folks who maybe don't brew a whole lot. A bag could last them a while but they may need other things to supplement the brewing process. I could go either way I'm always in the market for (at the very least) a bag of this or that.

First off I want to thank everyone for setting this up. This is my first buy. Quick question, I noticed everyone buying maris otter is purchasing Thomas Faucette & Sons. I have the Bairds Malt currently on order and am wondering if I should switch. Any benefits? Still new to AG brewing.

Thanks!

First off I want to thank everyone for setting this up. This is my first buy. Quick question, I noticed everyone buying maris otter is purchasing Thomas Faucette & Sons. I have the Bairds Malt currently on order and am wondering if I should switch. Any benefits? Still new to AG brewing.

Thanks!

Fawcett and Crisp use traditional floor malting, whereas Bairds uses pneumatic malting. The floor malting brings out some of the slightly more complex nutty/biscuit flavors you might be looking for when selecting Maris Otter malt as your base grain. A lot of people can't tell the difference. Try making a batch with each.

junks2255 said:

Thanks!

Well for me it's because Thomas Fawcett & Sons still uses a traditional floor malting process. I feel you can't cut corners when it comes to creating authentic beers, and authentic ingredients are the basis for authentic beers.

I'm one of those currently in for only hops although I plan on getting at least one sack of grain so I guess it doesn't matter. I think it really depends on what the issue is. I'm one of those that doesn't get to brew very often. I took part in buy #4 and figured today that I've gone through maybe 60-70 lbs. since then. I know that's a slow weekend for some of you guys!

By the same token, since I don't brew much, it really wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to wait until a future buy when I needed grain. It is nice to be able to get on in hops or supplies, but it's also just as easy to pick up a few oz. when needed from any other source.

We're at 70 sacks. It's 42 sacks per pallet so we are 14 sacks shy of two full pallets. Looks like we may only do two pallets...

bmason1623 said:
We're at 70 sacks. It's 42 sacks per pallet so we are 14 sacks shy of two full pallets. Looks like we may only do two pallets...

Remember that last time we needed room on the "last pallet" for the hops, cleaner etc. if we're doing 2 pallets, we may want to see about leaving room as to not pay for a third

ThirstT said:
Remember that last time we needed room on the "last pallet" for the hops, cleaner etc. if we're doing 2 pallets, we may want to see about leaving room as to not pay for a third

Good point. Maybe leave off two sacks?

ThirstT said:

Man, that ThirstT is always thinking, Good call! Although I haven't even thought about my grain order yet, I guess I'll have to do that soon.

bmason1623 said:
Good point. Maybe leave off two sacks?

Without knowing how much other stuff we have it's a hard call to make. However, if you have the totals of those extras, it may be worth your wild to contact the company to ask them how many sacks to leave off (then cut it off one sack earlier to be safe!)

ThirstT said:
Whereabouts could I find the notes section. Sorry, I tried but had no luck.

Go to the page where you enter your grain order. Above the grain ordered list but below the page title on the left land side is some text. It's buried in there.

Thanks Bill, I was looking for a hyperlink. I have it now
I don't see the rice hulls I ordered, are they considered "extras" like hops and Irish moss?

ThirstT said:
I don't see the rice hulls I ordered, are they considered "extras" like hops and Irish moss?

Don't know. I need to look into it tomorrow.

ThirstT said:

Here's what in showing:

ThirstT,TF-MOPA,Thomas Faucett & Sons LTD,Maris Otter,0.79,1,43.45,43.45 ThirstT,GW-2ROW,Great Western Malting Company,Premium 2-Row,0.57,1,28.5,28.5
ThirstT,1080- B-1,,Irish Moss,0.57,1,8,8 ThirstT,GP-RICE,,Rice Hulls,0.57,1,21.5,21.5

I'm sorry Bill, I meant that the list of sacks for the group buy didn't have the rice hulls. I was wondering if they counted, or should count towards the "70 sacks" we're currently at. Again, sorry to make you do more work on this one.

ThirstT said:
I'm sorry Bill, I meant that the list of sacks for the group buy didn't have the rice hulls. I was wondering if they counted, or should count towards the "70 sacks" we're currently at. Again, sorry to make you do more work on this one.

If you're referring to the spreadsheet, I have to update that manually. But, yes, rice hulls do count as a sack.

bmason1623 said:

Bill, I'd say that considering you coordinate the buy, provide the storage, the fork truck, deal with a boatload of folks coming and going from your business, solicit the vendor proposal, deal with the splits.. if you don't want thingamabobs or doohickies on the order.. I fully support that... it is called a "group grain buy" after all. And grain and hops are probably the most marked up bulk product at the brew shops.
So whatever side of the fence you you want to fall toward, I'll push you. What are friends for.

Side note: I'm picking down my garden, if timing is right on pick up I an more than happy to share jalepeno, habanero, chili, kungpao, cayenne if anyone does the crazy heartburn brews.

Im with Neopol. if its a PITA dont do it.

On a isde note...this thread blew up over the weekend....who is in charge of the hop buys? I did grain inventory and think im good through winter.

RC0032 said:
Im with Neopol. if its a PITA dont do it.

On a isde note...this thread blew up over the weekend....who is in charge of the hop buys? I did grain inventory and think im good through winter.

To my knowledge most of the hop buys are full. You may have to start one yourself. I think someone was trying to get a "Summit" buy started, there may be something left in the "Pacific Jade" buy, but I'm unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back