Question about 5 liter keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm dividing a 5 gallon batch of pale ale that is ready to be primed. My question is how much table sugar do I use for a 5 liter mini keg? And should I mix it with a small amount of boiling water to help the process? Don't want a keg bomb going off in the middle of the night! Thanks

Well, it's the simplest mr. Brew kit they had(I'm waiting for my real deal beer kit to come in the mail) but I'm only kegging one party keg, and bottling the rest into 12oz bottles, using the ole "pour a sugar in the bottles first" method-it's what the directions call for.

When I used these a few years ago, phil listermann of philtap fame had some pretty compelling reasons for not mixing it in. He suggested 1/5 tablespoon of sugar directly to the already filled keg. Search listermann mini keg priming.

Apparently the sugar creates nucleation sites. Also, invest in pressure relief bungs as well.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I had read something about filling mini kegs being totally different when priming. It's all a bit counter intuitive to me. You would think that mixing the whole batch first would be the same, but apparently not! Anyway, thanks for the info, looks like it will be a bit of trial and error.

I have recently read that you only want to use 3 oz of priming sugar for 5 gallons, similar to priming a 5 gallon keg. 5 oz split between 5 mini kegs leads to too much carbonation.
I could be wrong though.

When I was using them, premixing and bottling as usual resulted in over carbonation every time. The 1/5 TBL spoon trick worked. I must warn you, they never ever pour exactly like you'd like. I always had an extra glass for foam, and would let it sit, to top up others. Don't over charge with the co2 cartridge either, the first three pints will pour on priming pressure alone. I've got a fun minikeg project I'm working on I'll post up. The old green board had lots of cool minikeg projects, just have to search them. I remember one guy using an rv pump and small cooler to build a real cask engine. I just wish they were reliable and easier to clean, they're the perfect fridge size, and with the old philtap and stand were dispensible on their side unlike the new system where they're upright.

Well this makes me feel a little better, on the safe side I put 1/5 tbsp, then was regretting it, tried to pull the bung out, couldn't, so said screw it. First batch of mine anyway, I'm not expecting anything too great. It's kind of a test batch. I still have the bottles primed well enough, so at least some of it should be drinkable. Keep me updated on your results. Thanks for all the help everyone, now I play the waiting game.

Thinking back on this thread, I re-read the internets and I should have stated 1.5 tbs not 1/5, just a stupid typing error. If your beer eff's up, send it to me for disposal.

Back