Scorching in Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdelap

Reaction score
Last night I brewed my first beer in the new keggle that my GF bought me for my B-day. I have brewed 15 or so beers now and pretty much have my routine squared away (remove from heat while pouring extract etc.) but last night as I drained into my carboy I had some scorched extract underneath my false bottom :mad::mad: Does anyone have a trick to prevent this from happening? Thanks for the help!!

Dont ever add extract while the heat is on, it will burn every time. Stir the heck out of the wort before putting back onto the heat. But most importantly know that everybody has scorched or at least carmalized a brew;)

No heat was on, but with the false bottom I assume I didn't get all of the extract dissolved before I turned the flame back on. after all the hops that still made it past the false bottom I am starting to think about using a sock and getting rid of the FB all together.

No heat was on, but with the false bottom I assume I didn't get all of the extract dissolved before I turned the flame back on. after all the hops that still made it past the false bottom I am starting to think about using a sock and getting rid of the FB all together.

I though the false bottom was meant to be used for all-grain and not extract. My wife just got me a keggle and I told her not to get the false bottom. I figured I would add that later when I got to all-grain.

Extract sinks like a boat anchor....I think the false bottom prevented you from being able to stir and dissolve all the extract. I would pull the false bottom or use another large container to mix the extract with water(or steeped grains runnings), then add it to the keggle.

the LHBS sold me 2 different types one for the boil kettle to keep the hops above the dip tube and another for the MLT. I am in the process of making a electronically fired brew rig for all grain but got a little antsy with 2 of my 3 kegs empty so I figured I would dump some extract in and try out the keggles

So the next question is how much should this affect the beer, this was just a quick wheat beer (6 lbs of Wheat LME) should I feed it to the sink yet?

DON"T PITCH IT! I did it once and all it did was darken it a bit and my wife liked the flavor and has asked me to do it again but I refuse! It wasn't bad though.

Latest posts

Back