Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mustangj said:
6 gallons and your going to boil for 60 min.

The time next to the hops is how long they need to boil.

Hops:
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Should he scale up the hops because it's not a full boil? Or is the above taking that into account already?

I bottled this 3 weeks ago. I did a tester yesterday and found very very low carbonation. I added 4.15oz of priming sugar to 4 gallons (2.7 volumes) and made sure to siphon a little yeast into the bottling bucket to help the carbing along.

My ABV is 10.75%, I'm wondering if the high alcohol content has slowed the WLP500 down a little bit. I'm storing the bottles at 68-70. I gave each bottle a little shake yesterday in an attempt to reinvigorate the yeast. I'm planning on bottle aging this for another month or two, hopefully the yeast will carb it up a lot more.

Big-ass beers like this tend to take a while to bottle condition. I'd expect about 6 weeks, and try to keep them warm (70-75). I've force carbonated mine.

I bottled this 3 weeks ago. I did a tester yesterday and found very very low carbonation. I added 4.15oz of priming sugar to 4 gallons (2.7 volumes) and made sure to siphon a little yeast into the bottling bucket to help the carbing along.

My ABV is 10.75%, I'm wondering if the high alcohol content has slowed the WLP500 down a little bit. I'm storing the bottles at 68-70. I gave each bottle a little shake yesterday in an attempt to reinvigorate the yeast. I'm planning on bottle aging this for another month or two, hopefully the yeast will carb it up a lot more.

Mine carbed very slow as well. After about 7 or 8 weeks it carbed to where I thought it should be. I need to brew this one again soon

I just wanted to chime in again on how well this beer turned out. I made a 6 gallon batch and bottled and let it sit for about 3 weeks and got full carbonation. My beer was also of the stronger style at over 11% or so. Turned out fantastic; recipe definitely a keeper.

No..I don't see why you would.

Well, I guess I assumed Hurricane had a 6.5-7g boil, so his hop schedule and expected IBUs would be relative to that volume size/gravity. At a 3 gallon boil, Tom's going to end up with 10-15 IBUs, as opposed to 20-25.

My question about scaling up is whether or not Tom wants 20-25 IBUs or 10-15 IBUs.

I just put this into my secondary a few days ago because I needed the primary for another batch. My OG was 1.084 and last I checked which was on Sat 3/19 the reading was down to 1.012. I'm happy with that, and it smells fantastic and doesn't taste bad either. That brings it around 10% ABV at the moment, and I will let it sit in the secondary for a few more weeks. Thanks for this recipe. I'm looking forward to trying this.

beerloaf

Bottled this yesterday after 5 weeks and a few days in the primary. Gravity was at 1.012 and it tasted great - after the 5+ week primary, it was beautifully clear. Carbed to 2.9 because I like bubbles :D

I neglected this in the primary for 5 weeks due to work travel, never even took a look at it. Pulled a sample for gravity this AM & all I can say is wow is that a tasty brew, OG was 1.092, FG is 1.014 :drunk:

So I kegged it. :mug:

Mine's been on tap for about 3 weeks. It's really good. I filtered 5 of my 11 gallons, though in hindsight it didn't really make a difference. I wanted some to be brilliantly clear for an NHC entry, but I entered the non-filtered beer. It was brilliantly clear after sitting in the keg cold for a week. Especially after SWMBO's friends drank half the keg. This beer has also been really popular with "non-beer" people. Good stuff.

I am going to try to make this batch in a week or so. I have two extract batches under my belt. I noticed there are no grains. Regarding the recipe, is an extract batch like this started at a specific temp? 160 degrees? Is it as simple as adding the extracts and then adding the hops as suggested? Looking forward to this brew....thanks.

Bottled:
American Pale Ale
Chinook IPA

NJtarheel said:
How much Sugar prior to bottling?

I'd aim for the high-end of carbonation for the style, go for about 2.5 volumes of co2 and about 2.5 oz. Of corn sugar/5 gallons of beer.

I did the AG version of this scaled up to 6 gallons. I was going to measure out the right amount of sugar but instead just busted up a 1kg block of Jaggery. Between the yeast and the sugar I had a OG of 1.094 and a FG of 1.014 ending up with 10.5%abv. It tastes AWESOME and has one of the rockiest heads I ever brewed.

That was a lot of reading! But to summarize:

12.8lbs Pilsner
1.6lbs Munich Malt (2row)
1.6lbsCandy sugar @ 10mins

1.8oz hallertauer mittelfruh (60 mins)
.4oz styrian goldings (30 mins)
.8 chzech saaz (3 mins)

Although when I put that into Beersmith, it says that gives me an IBU of 24.5, the high end of the mentioned IBU scale for this beer. How can I reduce it to 20 IBUs? Should I exchange the 60 min hop for another or use less of it?

thanks! :tank:

ooguyx said:
That was a lot of reading! But to summarize:

12.8lbs Pilsner
1.6lbs Munich Malt (2row)
1.6lbsCandy sugar @ 10mins

1.8oz hallertauer mittelfruh (60 mins)
.4oz styrian goldings (30 mins)
.8 chzech saaz (3 mins)

Although when I put that into Beersmith, it says that gives me an IBU of 24.5, the high end of the mentioned IBU scale for this beer. How can I reduce it to 20 IBUs? Should I exchange the 60 min hop for another or use less of it?

thanks! :tank:

I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe the bitterness formula in BeerSmith. I think the hops in this recipe are perfect.

I did the AG version of this scaled up to 6 gallons. I was going to measure out the right amount of sugar but instead just busted up a 1kg block of Jaggery. Between the yeast and the sugar I had a OG of 1.094 and a FG of 1.014 ending up with 10.5%abv. It tastes AWESOME and has one of the rockiest heads I ever brewed.

For those who are interested, Candy Syrup, Inc. is offering samples of their premium Dark Candi Syrup D-180.

www.candisyrup.com

Cobalt D-180 Trio with Fleur de Lis.jpg

Pumped to try this. Total noob question here: for the extract brew, you guys are all using 3 cans of Munton's Light, correct?

9/15 og 1.101

9/21 fg 1.012

ABV 11.68%:drunk:

Now that is impressive. I was lurking on this thread a few times and wondered about the FG being too cloying sweet. An FG of 1.012 is just about perfect for a triple. Did you use a stir-plate starter based on MrMalty Calcs?

Well I checked one of my capped bottles of this the other day. I over did it with priming sugar, or there was brett in the carboy somehow. I did a wild yeast test on the brew and it came up positive. However I did find out that some belgian strains can give false positives. Either way it's overcarbed. I can't pour it into a duvel glass going as slow as possible even with having the glass cold and freshly rinsed. It tastes great but I might have to pop the caps off and let it vent some co2 over an hour or two time wise. The thing that worries me are my corked 750s. I don't know how I over did it on priming sugar considering I calculated for 65F which the beer was sitting at before bottling. Makes me wish there were a cheap reliable way to test for residual carbonation before bottling for homebrewers. I know breweries have a carbonation tester but those things are like $2000.

Now that is impressive. I was lurking on this thread a few times and wondered about the FG being too cloying sweet. An FG of 1.012 is just about perfect for a triple. Did you use a stir-plate starter based on MrMalty Calcs?

I had similar results to Mustang's (only with a slightly lower OG) and I only used a small starter with the old fashioned "swirling-as-you-walk-by" method.

I attempted this as my 2nd brew doing a partial boil extract version. I started with 1.070 OG and now after 13 days in the primary it's only at 1.028. I used two packs of the Wy'east trappist yeast. It took nearly 24hrs to start fermenting but then it seemed to be going well. It did get a little cold (low 60's) when I was out of town this past week for a few days but has been around 68-72 other than that. Could that have caused it to stall or should it be done by now anyway? Is there anything I can do to get it going again? Thanks in advance. So much to learn....

I made a 2000ml starter and used a stir plate. I had stepped it up a couple time.

For those who are interested, Candy Syrup, Inc. is offering samples of their premium Dark Candi Syrup D-180.

www.candisyrup.com

I got in on this and since I'm in the military they are sending me 5lbs for free! A.J. at candi syrup said they won't ship until June, but hell for a free 5lbs I'll wait.

Thanks for the post and big thanks to candi syrup for the free samples. :rockin:

I had similar results to Mustang's (only with a slightly lower OG) and I only used a small starter with the old fashioned "swirling-as-you-walk-by" method.

LOL!!!! +1 for Grasslands!

I'm brewing this recipe this Friday. Wish me luck...I do dearly love a triple.

Just for clarification, nothing needs to be steeped in? All my previous brews I had to put grains in a sack and steep for a while. I'm a little confused. I bought all the ingredients listed and I look forward to brewing this this weekend!!

Sweet! That's similar to mine which turned out awesome - I added corn sugar a couple days into primary fermentation to boost the ABV as I didn't have it all on hand on brew day.

It's such a good beer!! my hop flavor is starting to fade but it's still really good.( brewed back in sept)

brewed this a couple of weeks ago, mine finished nice and dry at 1.008. I fermented pretty low at 64 and raised it up to 70 through the week. I think I'll cold crash it, and then add T-58 for a bottling yeast, which might give it a little more peppery taste.

Bucfanmike - you should specify which yeast strain you are talking about. But, unless its a Belgian strain, I wouldn't bother. All the flavor comes from the yeast.

Back