Called my wife a Swmbo... She was mad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtheroux

Reaction score
NoW I think the only reason she is mad is due to thr fact I couldn't give an explanation on what it meant... Doing what most swmbo's do, she expected this a bad term... Second, was proably because I found out why use a blow off tube... Beer everywhere!!! Walls, ceiling, and of coarse the floor.. Ceiling, I know WTF.. She was even more pissed when I said.. " the beer is doin great"

What does the definition mean to you guys?

NoW I think the only reason she is mad is due to thr fact I couldn't give an explanation on what it meant... Doing what most swmbo's do, she expected this a bad term... Second, was proably because I found out why use a blow off tube... Beer everywhere!!! Walls, ceiling, and of coarse the floor.. Ceiling, I know WTF.. She was even more pissed when I said.. " the beer is doin great"

Welcome to the world of homebrewing, where we well know how it feels to mop a ceiling!

I feel like Jeff Foxworthy, "If you've ever mopped a ceiling.............you may be a homebrewer!" :rockin:

its normal for your swmbo to be mad. thats the nature of the beast. your best option is to hid for a while, then come out when she's focused on oprah

That's the worst noob attempt at getting us to divulge what SWMBO means that I've ever seen! :mug:

I feel like Jeff Foxworthy, "If you've ever mopped a ceiling.............you may be a homebrewer!" :rockin:

LMAO!!!

"If you hear "smash" and think SMaSH.... you might be a homebrewer..."

"If you walk through the produce section of the supermarket and can only think of how each item would be in a brew... you might be a homebrewer..."

There has to be more... :D

BTW, I didn't mop the ceiling... yet.. But I did need to clean up the spray that hit it (and me) when I hit the ball in a Sanke spear... Once is enough there... Luckily, it only covered about a 4' diameter section of the ceiling... Although I do see how it hit the blinds (the curtain was pulled that day) and some of the window edge... :rockin:

*This is an expression used from time to time by the barrister Horace Rumpole in John Mortimer's Rumpole of the Bailey stories, to apply to his wife Hilda.

Bob sometimes refers to me as SWMBO when he talks to the dog.

Like this, "Well, Toby, I'd give you two more treats but SWMBO wouldn't like it". Hahahaha.

1st rule of homebrewclub: You do not call your SWMBO a SWMBO to her face
2nd rule of homebrewclub: You DO NOT call your SWMBO a SWMBO to her face

sorry, couldn't resist...

About a year ago, I was dating a Colombian girl. One day, I made a comment, and she, of course, chose to interpret it the worst possible way, and made a scene about it. I proceeded to send her to hell on the spot, and immediately got my stuff and took off.

She still calls me from time to time.

Of course, she wasn't my wife. Otherwise I would've kicked her out of the house.:D:D

That's hilarious! This exact same situation happened to me a week ago. But I was a little pissed, and swmbo could tell, so she said that it was fine. I even called her a swmbo for the first time and she thought it was pretty dang funny.

She just read this post and cracked up! Gotta love the understanding swmbo's!

*This is an expression used from time to time by the barrister Horace Rumpole in John Mortimer's Rumpole of the Bailey stories, to apply to his wife Hilda.

But that's not the first literary usage of it...

A little SWMBO trivia;

The first use of swmbo was in the serialized novel "She" (who must be obeyed) by H. Rider Haggard published between October 1886 to January 1887....IIRC it is part of the Alan Quartermain novels...Remember the movie King Solomon's Mine

And the Sean Connery Character in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

51G1TFS54JL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

You can read the novel online it looks like...Bibliomania: Free Online Literature and Study Guides

And Ursula Andres made a damn fine looking one in the 1966 film version.

She_movie.jpg

ua012.jpg

huminahuminahumina!!!!!!

Anyone remember this thread???? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/who-wears-pants-round-here-72230/

Or this one?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/why-i-hate-swmbo-71202/

In my world acronyms are supposed to be a faster way to say a long phrase. This is like the reverse of that. SWMBO bugs me... I guess it's the efficiency nut in me. It seems a more suitable acronym is SWMBKH... She Who Must be Kept Happy. Again, wife is a lot easier to say.

So- it appears that the chronological derivation of the "plagiarizing" of this particular expression was from Haggard via Mortimer to Connery?

I don't know about anyone else, but my wife refers to herself as swmbo. In third person none the less, especially when she's angry.

"SWMBO's gonna hurt you!":)

That why I prefer SWSMT, She knows what it means and laughs, I think it makes her feel powerful.

Okay thanks guys, now I'm totally OCD over those last two. Technical Bill of Materials?
She Who Severed My Testicles? What!? WHAT!?!?

If I called my wife that, she would be pissed because she doesn't deserved to be called that. I recommend anyone with a SWMBO rethink a few things...

Amen to that, No one MUST be obeyed, thats what makes us Americans, right

And please dont ever use the words "severed" and "testicles " in the same sentence again. I almost threw up.

Amen to that, No one MUST be obeyed, thats what makes us Americans, right

i like to think its being a belligerent, drug using, alcoholic, with a good fashion sense, and a bad attitude that makes me American:drunk:

i like to think its being a belligerent, drug using, alcoholic, with a good fashion sense, and a bad attitude that makes me American:drunk:

LOL since when do Americans have "good fashion sense".

Another SWMBO mistake is telling your 16 year old son what it means. She really doesn't like him calling her that which only makes him do it more.

I refer to my wife as "boss" as in "I'll have to check with the boss"

The definition SWMBO has been reset around here by my 8 week old daughter. There is no question as to the captain of this ship

To OP:

If you're a noob, do a really crappy job cleaning up, when she's disgusted and does it "right" you can still call her SWMBO: She Who Mops Blow Over/Offs.

(I still wouldn't call her that to her face though).

I've had a few boil overs in my day...and I normally take care of the sticky mess on the ground. The SWMBO is always in charge of the brew kettle cleaning. It's a team effort...bwahahahahaha!

Back