Killing yeast!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnoodle

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider ready to bottle, I am going to put it in mason jars. I want it to be a still cider and I was wondering if I ran my full jars through a cycle in the dish washer if it would kill the yeast or just give me a washer full of broken glass? I am cold crashing it right now, but I have read that this will just make the yeast go dormant. Please help a noob

Well we will see what happens, I just started the cycle I put it on high temp scour.

I would maybe test it with 4 bottles first, one in each corner or however you want to arrange them. Just in case they all break, you aren't loosing all of your batch.

I can, so it's at higher temperatures than a dishwasher but a mason jar is supposed to hold a vacuum. Hopefully, the cider won't get forced out under the lid before it contracts and seals. I'd probably use beer bottles for cider, because beer bottles can hold pressure and the cap would deal tightly.

Well they made it through an hour wash cycle and when I checked the temp of the cider in one it was around 137 degrees so I think it did the job. Although there is still alot of bubbles in the jar.

Back