Yeast screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
I'm making a 10 gal. batch of brown ale. Since i only have 6.5 gal. Carboys i thought i would use 2 types of yeast. Sent my wife to the store to pick up the ingredients since she drives by the store. I wanted American ale and London ale. She came back with American ale and Irish ale. Do you think the Irish will be ok? Also I'm going to use the yeast cake for a barley wine next. Which do you think would be best to use?

Sure, why not... Irish ale will be used for darker, maltier styles anyway so I'm thinking it could make a nice brown ale.

Im not worried, I guess i was just wondering what would be different and which would be best for the barley wine.

I'm using the Irish Ale right now in a batch of amber right now. Going to use the cake for an imperial red.

Let us know how it turns out.

Will do, we are making it tonight. Will be interested to see the difference in the American and the Irish.

Also I'm going to use the yeast cake for a barley wine next. Which do you think would be best to use?

Depends... if it's an american barley wine where hops are more highlighted I'd go with the am ale yeast. If you're going to highlight the malt I'd go with the irish.

Latest posts

Back