Boil kettle and boil off rate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfkriege

Reaction score
I am looking at new boil kettles and wonder what happens if the kettle is more tall and narrow. I would assume that this would lower boil off rate slightly. Is there anything else that it will do, and is this lower boil rate a problem at all if I am still achieving a good strong boil?

Joshua

it will boil just as hard no matter what diameter the pot is. the boil off on the other hand may change. your going to have to experiment and see what the difference is. if there is a change you will have to change the amounts of water you add to your brew during the boiling process.

I'd say the time it takes to reach a boil would be impacted negitively by a taller pot over a wider pot. The amount of impact would depend on factors such as the amount of the boil the size of the burner involved.

I forgot to mention that this would be heated with internal electric elements. With that in mind, if my boiloff rate is decreased due to smaller exposed water surface area, then my time to reach a boil should decrease.

Is there anything in wort that you want to evaporate off during the boil? If not, then my suspicion is that there would be no negative impact on having a tall kettle. Sound right?

Yes there is, that's why you don't cover the pot

Having a tall pot should not effect the out come.

Back