Racking From The Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
Is it possible to start a siphon and rack to bottles with the beer still in the secondary? Anyone else tried this?

Thanks,
Shawn

I've never tried it but I'm sure some "old-school" brewers have. I like to think the idea of a 'bottling' bucket helps keep sediment and other crap out of my bottled beer just like a secondary does. It's just another container that has less undesirables in it. The less in your bottles.....the better. Spending 20 dollars on a bottling bucket is a small price to pay...

You bet this is possible.

Personally I like to siphon the beer out into another container to mix in priming sugars there so I can at least be consistent when I screw it up :). If bottling directly from "primary" or "secondary", your disadvantage will be that you'll need to pay close attention to where the upstream end of your racking device is sitting. Too low and you'll pick up trub/sediment. Too high and you might lose suction. All this time the other hand (or person) is handling the task of putting the bottling wand into each bottle and avoiding overflows.

I have bottled alone a few times, and so far the process has involved broken bottles each time. This was with a 2nd bucket/container. YMMV. Good luck!

It's possible, yes, but not recommended.

I would also recommend a bottling bucket over bottling right from the secondary (or primary...). When you siphon from your fermentation vessel onto your priming solution, the swirling action will evenly mix your beer with sugar water, ensuring a more or less even carbonation. Bottling right from the secondary would likely yield a batch of flat bottles and maybe a gusher or two... or worse :O

Now if you keg, there is not problem racking right from primary or secondary right to the keg, but again, for bottles, this isnt recommended.

Back