Anyone Growing hops in Kentucky??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
Just looking to see if anyone is having success growing hops in Kentucky. My friend is looking to plant 6 acres, his soil report was good and he is inside the lattitude line. Are there any rizomes left to buy this year, or is it too late?

Eastside

I'm growing 'em in Kentucky (Cascades and Chinook). They're doing very well.

May I ask what area you are in? How many plants? How many years? what kind of yield?

Thanks,

Eastside

I'm in Louisville. Just growing them for my own use and amusement, really. Very few, in containers, first year. Not expecting much of a harvest being first year plants.

But I can say that they do grow very well here.

Just looking to see if anyone is having success growing hops in Kentucky. My friend is looking to plant 6 acres, his soil report was good and he is inside the lattitude line. Are there any rizomes left to buy this year, or is it too late?

Eastside

Its more expensive that rhizomes, but Great Lakes Hops sells crowns and field grade plants, it may be worth your friend checking them out.

I'm growing them in kentucky. I have a second year centennial that is already loade with cones. I also have cascade,chinook,and pride of ringwood that are all first year and seem to be doing well. No cones on any first year plants but I pretty much expected that.

If it didn't matter,it wouldn't matter!

Eastside, I'm growing hops close to KY.

I grew three plants of CTZ type hops planted May 25, 2014 and harvested near mid August 2014. I averaged two lbs of wet hops from each plant.

As for your friend planting 6 acres, I wish him luck. It's a LOT of hard work to do it right and the cost per acre will exceed $15,000 perper acre.

I recently purchased five different varieties from Great Lakes Hops in Zeeland, MI. totaling 1,000 plants, planted on one acre.

Back