First gushers :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjoystick

Reaction score
Brewed a partial mash beer and bottled it 2 days ago. Opened a bottle today and it was a gusher. Foam everywhere. So I opened each one of them, let the pressure come out and recapped them. Was thinking to move them to cold attic (about 10c) or outside (about 0-5c)

Og was 1.040, FG was 1.013 when bottled, and I added 117 grams of glucose for 14 litre batch in priming (the package said use 20% more than normal table sugar)

Could have just been that they were warm. Since you've already recapped there's no way to know. But in the future try chilling it for a day or so before popping it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks. I made this mistake myself, turns out the rush of co2 in the headspace escaping "pulled" the beer up with it. After conditioning the co2 will dissolve into the beer and life will be better.

Did you make a priming solution, and if so did you cool it down? I didn't cool down my solution once which resulted in it being badly mixed in with my beer. Some of my beers were flat and some were gushers.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

Ok so basically I shouldnt worry too much. It was the first time I used Beer Smith's priming calculator and was worried of exploding bottles. Heard earlier that you should open bottles to check there's not too much carbonation and was scared of the gushing after just 2 days.

Hard to say. You let out co2 - co2 that would eventually carb your beer. Depending on how much sugar was left for the yeast to eat and how much co2 you let out, I imagine they'll end up carbed somewhat less than you had intended. What I would not do is attempt to reprime in any way - that's asking for bombs IMO. My vote would be to leave them be for 3 weeks, chill for at least 24 hours, then see what you've got. If it's a little flat, just say its cask style beer.
:mug:

Back