beer in gas lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to kegging so, bear with me here,got a little problem and can't seem to find an answer anywhere.
I'm getting some beer push back into my gas lines and I can't figure out why it's happening.I fill my cornies to about half an inch of space under the gas in tube.Then I simply hook up the gas to each keg at 12 psi for 3 weeks .After a couple of days I notice beer in gas lines.It really has me puzzled as to why this is happening.

help,thanks in advance,

homebrewer_99 said:
Sounds like your tank is lower than your keg...

I'm curious as to how this could potentially cause the issue that the OP is describing. I'm trying to work it out in my head, but I can't.

ohiobrewtus said:
I'm curious as to how this could potentially cause the issue that the OP is describing. I'm trying to work it out in my head, but I can't.
Not sure myself...just thought about the process/effect we call syphoning...1 container has to be higher than the other.

With his keg pressurized and the tank turned off the higher pressured fuid would flow back to the keg...we're not there to witness his actions so I just let my mind ramble a bit...:D

david_42 said:
Try putting check valves in the gas lines.
I have check valves on my 4way manifold,so as you can see,I thought I was covered for back flow .

Yes I have a dual body reg.Also I keep my tank turned on all the time.

We just got kegs and are having a similar problem. One of the kegs has a gas stone on a tube going down to the bottom. I just realized that it must be pushing back up through that tube.

I think we need check valves, especially if we're going to use the gas stone.

So we've definitely had beer in the gas lines. How do we know if it got into the regulator? If so, what do we do about it?

The only thing I can think of is that your tank is being exposed to temperature swings and your keg is not. Either that or the temp swing is affecting your tank more than your keg because of the thermal mass of the liquid in the keg. Are they both in a temperature controlled environment? If the tank is outside the fridge, is there a possibility of a rogue sunbeam heating up the regulator and causing pressure fluctuations?

They're both in a basement which has been in the high 50F range lately. Not a whole lot of chance of sunlight hitting them, but not out of the question either.

Definitely going to get some check valves since they're cheap insurance.

Still want to know how to tell if the regulator is messed up.

Edit: Just realized that the regulator has an aircock. Saw that my LHBS has aircocks that also serve as checks. Are all aircocks also check valves? If so, I should be ok.

Fingers said:
The only thing I can think of is that your tank is being exposed to temperature swings and your keg is not. Either that or the temp swing is affecting your tank more than your keg because of the thermal mass of the liquid in the keg. Are they both in a temperature controlled environment? If the tank is outside the fridge, is there a possibility of a rogue sunbeam heating up the regulator and causing pressure fluctuations?
I have my tank outside my fridge,but I have everything in my basement .the temps are pretty stable all the time.

colinwollmann said:
I have my tank outside my fridge,but I have everything in my basement .the temps are pretty stable all the time.

Same problem and my tanks are in the same room , the room is cold but has temp changes. Low about 45F to a high of 55F. Doesn't seem like a huge change.

Latest posts

Back