American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated above: I bump those to a full OZ and also include 1oz at 5min in order to get 41IBU

Its a little hard to understand as FatC1tys update to his recipe mentions moving the 5-10min additions up but I do not see where he says to make them an oz or to keep one at 5 min.... even so it looks like I was on the same page as he has probably done.

I'm out of town but thanks for bringin it to my attention. I will clean the recipe up.

The recipe as its written is right.

If you wish to use the exact hop schedule they use its the one with the 60 min addition. I haven't done it that way with their schedule because I don't think we get the same usage from our hops as the bigger breweries do. It comes out to roughly 3 ounces in a 5 g batch which is pretty low I think. Depends on alphas of your own hops as well.

Ill update it and lay out the two schedules with amounts and ibus for people later this week. But be advised the current schedule is fantastically close and taste really good.

Thanks. It really is good how it is. I just read it wrong. I did brew this. The brew meanta great deal to me as my process went great, my pH and electric heater have been an issue. I nailed my pH and my new element seemed to do well. The funny thing is I have had Citra beer once on tap and I did not like it. I personally think the keg had been there a while and it tasted off to me. I have citra hops on hand have made a very similar recipe to this before so I know it will be great as long as my process worked out.

Just brewed this up again.. Oh so good and refreshing.. I think it really highlights the Citra hop better than some others I've made.. Citra can get a bit... overpowering and funky in large amounts.

So just tasted this after a few weeks in the bottle. Like I said, it was a great brew as my pHwas good and hopes were high with new heater. Beer came out great. No off flavors or anything strange. I did a 20min hop stand at 170F. I have so much citra flavor, I think it is great but think it might even be better when it fades just a bit. I mashed at 150 for 90 minutes and the beer is nice and dry. Great summer quencher.

FATC1TY said:
Just brewed this up again.. Oh so good and refreshing.. I think it really highlights the Citra hop better than some others I've made.. Citra can get a bit... overpowering and funky in large amounts.

Now that they bottle i was able to sit down and do a comparison..

Its not 100% ready yet (not 100% clear or carbed)... Obviously the homebrew is on the right.. But i made this for the wife.. Yes its a great beer but her favorite.. She thought mine was oddsides.. Obviously if she looked at clarity and color she would have noticed..

The clone is perfect hop wise!

I think i need to grab another bottle to compare cause the one i had was from their first bottling and its been rumored that they were losing their freshness.. Which would explain why the real one seems more bitter and less flavor and aroma

image-1264652758.jpg

Awesome.. Thanks for the pics and comparison..

I need to get this back on tap, pronto and use up some Citra in the freezer.

Get a freshie and report back.. The age could make their beer a bit darker as well... that or, they have something like munich in there getting some color without the crystal. Not much because the color is really close.

I jus talked to chris again he wants me to bring a pint in to compare.. That last recipe i sent ya was 100% confirmed .. I dont know if we need to tweak to our systems to get perfect color and what not

Will try to get one this weekend and let the beer finish carbing and clearing

See what strain of yeast they use....

My gut would say 1968 possibly, the fullers yeast... It's popular amongst commercial brewers.

I want to try Oddsides Pineapple IPA though, MAN that sounds good.

I'd be interested in that Pineapple IPA as well. I'm drinking (not at the moment, but you know...) a pineapple wheat I brewed based on the idea of Mana wheat from Maui brewing. On the IPA side though, I wonder how it will taste. I recall Jamil Zainashef saying the worst fruit beer he ever made was a pineapple IPA - the flavors (bitter and pineapple) just didn't mesh.

Holy Citra!

I followed the recipe- OG 1.055, FG 1.005 with pacman yeast. I dont think I have ever had anything like this before- the tropical mango thing is totally over the top! Great recipe- I was concerned about only using late additions, but it is perfectly balanced. I could smell this stuff all day... Glad I bought the whole pound of citra! I am a big fan. Thanks for sharing

Holy Citra!

I followed the recipe- OG 1.055, FG 1.005 with pacman yeast. I dont think I have ever had anything like this before- the tropical mango thing is totally over the top! Great recipe- I was concerned about only using late additions, but it is perfectly balanced. I could smell this stuff all day... Glad I bought the whole pound of citra! I am a big fan. Thanks for sharing

No problem.. Nice FG there. Overshot it a bit, but I bet the dryness is good!

Glad you enjoyed it, it's a nice balanced beer for.. well.. anytime!

Brewed this one up yesterday, hit my intended OG which was satisfying because I've had all sorts of problems coming in too low lately.

Thanks for the recipe, love citra, cant wait to try this one!

Is the recipe on the first page the altered one and if not can someone send it to me please

thanks
Jim

Here's a really close clone of the Citra Pale Ale from Oddsides, in Grand Haven, Michigan. Very close to what I remember it tasting like.

It's a fantastically, easy drinking, ultra flavorful Pale Ale. These guys make one of the best Pale's I've ever had, and the Brewer, and the Brewery are TOP NOTCH. The Headbrewer gave me some "direction" in designing/guessing the recipe, and it helped me greatly. I believe this one is very close to the original, and if anything makes a fantastic, easy drinking beer that is good to the last drop!

Mash @ 152* for 60 minutes.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.0 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 21.3 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 15.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Flameout 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Other 13 -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

NOTE: The recipe has been altered since version 1. The FWH/60 min addition is deleted for the raised 15/10min addition for more flavor, and the same amount of IBU's this beer should be.

Another NOTE: I was informed by someone who has talked to Oddsides about this recipe, and said it's really close. Drop the C60 totally, and use all C40 instead. 60/10/0/dryhop is the hop schedule, it's scaled down to our 5 gallon batches, it's just shy of 3 oz total for ALL of those additions. I would assume that we would need more on our smaller scales to get the amplified flavor as we don't get the efficiency they do in a larger brew house. However, feel free to try that, and work out the hops to 41 IBU's roughly. As is stands the recipe written is very close, and extremely flavorful, but one could try to use whats been quoted as from Chris himself, and see how it works at home.

Ferment it out cool, around 66-67*F.

It's a great tasting, balanced, and fruity Pale Ale. If you hate Citra, you are in the wrong place. The wheat is what gives this beer the slightly creamier, heavier mouthfeel that makes you love it. The lacing and head on the beer are perfect. So refreshing!

5179A669-8DDB-48E1-A937-54059FCF16CC-2261-000003D7790963AD.jpg

B3967653-15AA-4E36-BC98-59A8603F0A43-3235-000005919BEC45D3.jpg

The recipe you quoted is the the recipe to brew.

The only changes would be if you want to try Oddsides hop schedule, which is in the bold portion. You'll have to do it in BS to balance the IBU's if you want to give it a shot.

I think for homebrew purposes, the hop schedule I provided is probably best, IMO.

This is a really great recipe, delicious if you love the citra. thank you fatc1ty

No problem!

I need to brew this again soon and use up some of last years Citra I have in the freezer before I order the new harvest stuff.

Indeed one of my favorite recipes. I like it more than the Zombie Dust Clone on here myself, that one turned out a bit much for me!

I brewed this over the weekend and because of my low effeciency in some previous beers i did a 90 mash and a 15 minute sparge i ended up with a 1.066 gravity. Hopefully i have some happy yeast and get a bigger beer then i hoped for.

This was my first all grain brew and just added the dry hops to the fermenter. OG was a bit low but I ended up a hair low on FG as well so I think in the end it'll probably be fairly similar. I tried it alongside the real thing and pretty darn close for a first brew. Can't wait to bottle and taste the final product.

How long did you dry hop? I was thinking about a week. Great recipe and thanks for posting!

This was my first all grain brew and just added the dry hops to the fermenter. OG was a bit low but I ended up a hair low on FG as well so I think in the end it'll probably be fairly similar. I tried it alongside the real thing and pretty darn close for a first brew. Can't wait to bottle and taste the final product.

How long did you dry hop? I was thinking about a week. Great recipe and thanks for posting!

I'd do 5-7 days, at a warmer temp as well. Probably around ambient, 70* or so to help extraction.

Hope you enjoy it.

Second time brewing this recipe, first was a 5 gal batch verbatim of the recipe on the first page. This time i added 1 oz of citra bittering hops (60 min) at the start to a 10 gallon batch. The longer you let this thing sit in your glass the better it gets. It keeps getting better with age as well, this is my favorite pale ale so far.

I'm about to rebrew this actually.

I have the bourbon barrel aged version in my fridge from a recent trade too.

Brewed this recently..

I must say... after some time, and some time away from having the real Oddsides.. this is so close.. Something I crave in the spring here in the south.

Would this beer be able to support a slighly higher FG?

I've been meaning to test the WYEAST 1332 Northwest Ale with a citra-based beer. It's specified up to 71% AA, which would land at 1.017. I don't know what US-05 has, but 1.058 to 1.012 would be close to 80%?

Do you know of anyone else brewing a Citra Pale Ale? I recently enjoyed a wonderful bomber bottle labeled as such but, unfortunately, tossed the bottle without making a note of who made it. Since I'm on the west coast I can't help but wonder if Oddsides distribution chain goes this far.

I just ordered a goodly supply of Citra hops so I could make this recipe. I hope I'm aiming at the correct target! ?

Do you know of anyone else brewing a Citra Pale Ale?

At the risk of quoting myself, but also for the advancement of the discussion here, I found the source for the Citra Pale Ale distributed in California. Knee Deep Brewing from Auburn, CA makes a beer they sell as "Citra Extra Pale Ale". (It may be distributed more widely than California but I don't have any way of knowing for sure.) It is a wonderful beer and full of the flavor and aromas of Citra hops. The label clearly describes it as a "single hop ale". And, although the two are similar in many respects, Knee Deep's rendition of this beer varies from the Oddsides version the OP was trying to build in several important points.

The Knee Deep version comes in with whopping 7% ABV and 45 IBU. While this might threaten to resurrect an earlier argument that this is an American IPA rather than a pale ale, I'll leave that argument to the purists who enjoy such disagreements. To me, the beer tastes wonderful, has plenty of Citra hops to clear your palette and your mind, and leaves you wanting another.

I intend to try to duplicate this variation. I will follow the OP's basic recipe but with the adjustments needed to fit Knee Deep's numbers. It will be my next brew so if you are still following this thread stay tuned and please let me know that you're out there. :) I'll keep you posted!

Cheers!

:mug:

p.s. Please note that I'm not trying to hijack this thread. It appears to have been dead for a least a year. But I am of the opinion that there is still plenty of room for discussion of single-hop citra pale ales. Although the OP seems to have dropped his interest in this, I would appreciate any continued discussion on the topic.

I for one am interested. Oddside is very close for us so I've had theirs many times. Recently I did a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone but substituted all the cascades for Citra. Definitely let us know how it turns out and if it's good post your version. I can't get enough Citra myself.

I'm making this (close) today. Will be an extract. 8lb pale ale lme 12 oz red wheat and all I have is crystal 15. Brewed one last week with cascade @60 then a similar hop schedule of mosaic. Can't wait till its ready. This recipe sounds great

I for one am interested. Oddside is very close for us so I've had theirs many times. Recently I did a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone but substituted all the cascades for Citra. Definitely let us know how it turns out and if it's good post your version. I can't get enough Citra myself.

How did the SNPA come out with the Citra? I will be brewing the Oddsides recipe this weekend and also have a SNPA clone i will be doing next weekend.

I brewed this recipe today (with a few modifications). I decided that the beer sold in this area wasn't what I wanted on tap so without tasting the Oddsides figured I'd give it a try.

Three variations here: I didn't have enough Citra hops to make all the additions called for in the recipe so I added 1/2 oz. Magnum at 60 min. That got the IBU's up to about 36 and allowed for deletion of the 1 oz. Citra at 15 min. I didn't have any C40 on hand so I used 6 C20 and 6 C60. Figured it would be close enough. Finally, the LHBS was completely out of US-05 so I bought a vial of White Labs WLP-060 American Ale Blend. Haven't used this strain before but the specs sounded like a good fit to this beer.

Mashed 60 min. @ 152F and will ferment a couple weeks at +/- 170F. Planning a dry-hop addition of 2 oz. whole leaf Citraat about 7-10 days. Will post again when I pull the tap on this to let you know how it turned out.

Cheers!
:mug:

I'm vacationing in MI right now and just dot to try the Citra Pale Ale very delicious! This is going on my to brew list!

Not yet. I'll look around for it. It will be neat to compare.
Am on day 1 in the fermentor. Holding at 69 Deg F using US-5 yeast.
It's bubbling is sweet and floral.

Not yet. I'll look around for it. It will be neat to compare.
Am on day 1 in the fermentor. Holding at 69 Deg F using US-5 yeast.
It's bubbling is sweet and floral.

We are at about the same place. Brewed mine Saturday and pitched yeast Sunday. Big head of krausen today and it smells great.

I found the Knee Deep Citra either at BevMo, Vons or SaveMart (can't remember which) here in Fresno. Probably available at the same stores up your way. It has a higher ABV than the Oddsides and the IBU's are a lot higher too. Probably not fair to try to compare the two. But if you like Citra hops you might like this one.

Back