Just ordered a 7.5 gallon pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
I was only using a 5 gallon pot. I was running into problem when I went to bottle I was only getting 42 bottles. If fill my pot to 5.5 gallons will that help me get my full 5gallons so I get more bottle or will 5.5 gallon boil mess up my taste? Thank you for the help.

I used a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot and had to fill it to within 1 inch of the top to have enough for a 1 hour boil and end up with about 5 gallons. I had to be really careful at the start of the boil to avoid boil overs. I now have a 10 gallon pot and still have to watch it careful. If you can I would recommend a larger pot if you are doing full boils.

A 7.5 gal kettle will get you the 5 gallons you are looking for but as Brew2 said, you have to be very careful of boilovers. Some of the issues you might be having with coming up short is trub loss. You can compensate for that by boiling with 6 - 6.5 gallons of wort. Each recipie will be different (amount of hops, etc). With my system, I can safely boil about 6.5 gal of work and can get about 5.5 gal into my fermentor. I guestamat about .5 gal loss due to trub.

I was using a 7.5 gallon pot for full boils and ran into the issue of having to watch very closely and throttle down or off multiple times as boil was being achieved until hot break was complete. I have since stepped up to a 15.5 gallon pot. No more boil overs :)

I had 4 gallons boiling (3 gal batch) in a 10 gallon pot and I had a big boil over. that just tells ya that you need to keep an eye on it regardless of pot size. but to add my advice to the op's question. I usually start with 6 gallons in the boil and expect to lose half a gallon during the boil and another half between trub, transfers, and spillage during botting. that's how i try to end up with 5 gallons finished beer. so If i were you i'd boil around that much if you're boiling for a full hour. full boils are really only gonna help.

Back