Rice Hulls during pressing apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
Has anyone used rice hulls when they pressed their apples to get more juice? THe grape guys add a small amount of rice hulls when they press, the idea I think is that is keep channels open for the juice to squeeze through, or maybe it provides some roughage that locks the skins in place instead of letting them just slide around and not get squeezed very well. It sounds like it would be a good idea in pressing apples for cider. WVMJ

Depends on your press, but I've had good success getting higher yields using rice hulls. Dryer pomace = more juice, rice hulls are especially helpful for fruit with high liquid content and tough skins, like cherries.

If you're using a rack and press setup, I'd probably try more, thinner cheeses before using rice hulls.

THanks, so they are probably not so usefull for apples, better for grapes and juicey stuff. I got some nice thick cutting boards for press plates, just looking to see how we can get the highest efficiency from them. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back