little experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbrah

Reaction score
:rockin:
I want to try brewing sparkling hard orange juice....however, I have never made this before nor have I ever heard of this before, so instead of buying a crap ton of oranges and juicing my heart out. I figued I would do a little experiment.
:fro: I bought a 12oz bottle of 100% OJ added 3 chopped raisens for nutrients, a tablespoon of corn sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon of yeast. I drilled a hole in the plastic lid that was on the bottle and fitted an air lock to it. It has started fermenting, so I know It will be alcholic. However, when I bottle what should I do to get it carbonized?:D

Make sure the OJ you buy doesn't have preservatives in it. Preservatives are added specifically to prevent fermentation. I'm not sure you will be able to find bottled OJ without some sort of preservative, but I could be wrong. If I'm not wrong, you will be juicing oranges...

Check around in the Cider forum for tips on getting proper carbonation, generally you can treat it like beer. With a one-bottle batch, I would recommend carb tablets.

Fair warning: folks who have fermented straight OJ are usually not too happy with the results--tends to be a very sour/acidic brew. YMMV

Never tried it myself but from everything I have heard fermented OJ taste like vomit. If it ferments and you like the taste just bottle it with sugar and it will carb. You can do a search on here for the right amount of sugar to add per bottle. I just always add sugar to my bottleing bucket for the batch so not sure on the right amount per bottle

First, the heckling:

If you want to "carbonize", then put the bottle outside and heat it with a welding torch until it's a smouldering pile of ash (carbon)

Second, the answer:

But to "carbonate", you can just boil a small
amount of water and table sugar, cool, add to the OJ and bottle. Otherwise you can add corn sugar (same idea). Or just bottle it before the fermentation ends.

Bottle in the same way you would for beer.

You should look up 'Sima', which is a Finnish low-alcohol but naturally fermented citrus drink.

Back