DIY Stir Bar/ Stir Rod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandbekah

Reaction score
I have recently built my DIY stir plate and I am currently anxiously awaiting to get the stir bar in the mail...

I would love to test this sucker out and I have not been able to find anything about a "DIY stir bar"...

I read a couple posts about taking a screw, cutting the head off it and inserting in some tube and sealing it up... (again not to be used for actual yeast but something that I can whip together to test the stir plate...)

Any suggestions on how I could make one to test this out?

Just do what you posted. If you just want to test the stir plate, use a small bolt. I did this to test my stir plate build. You don't even need to put it some tubing.

You can use a piece of screw, or bolt or nearly anything at the hardware that is of ferrous metal and the right size and shape.

Stainless won't work, FYI.

You can even keep using it if you like. Just make sure to wash well after use. Just got to find a way to keep it from rusting.

But a coated stirbar is worth the money in ease of cleaning and they won't scratch your flask like a metal one will over time.

Okay awesome I'll test that out when I get home...

Yeah I bought a stir bar on ebay for $6 bucks including shipping but its coming from Houston and I live in upstate NY so I'd like to know if my build will need any adjustments

Most likely it will. The bolt/screw won't act the same as an actual stir bar. The stir bar I have is flat on the sides and has rounded ends. Most bolts are cylindrical. :D

Here is how I made a roughly 1" stir bar. I cut a framing nail to about 3/4". Slipped that inside polyethylene water tubing (the stuff that services water to your fridge) that extended over each end of the nail by about 1/8" or so. I took my soldering iron and carefully melted the edges of the opening and made nice rounded, watertight ends. Works perfectly for me and saved $5-$6 in the process.

Okay cool, thanks guys for the suggestions, I'm anxious to test out the stir plate and see well my build is...

Okay awesome I'll test that out when I get home...

Yeah I bought a stir bar on ebay for $6 bucks including shipping but its coming from Houston and I live in upstate NY so I'd like to know if my build will need any adjustments

Mine shipped really quick (couple of days) I ordered from ebay and it shipped from Houston.

I was in the same boat waiting for my stir bars. Here is what I did.
I had a quick disconnect drill bit that was broken, you know, the hex shaped ones for a drill driver. I broke the remainder of the drill portion off then wrapped it in teflon tape. Worked great.

thanks for the tips guys... I tried the bolt last night and it didn't work at first... then I took a further look at my stir plate and realized I had a sally of a magnet. Ran out to the local hardware store and got a stronger magnet and tested again... Took right off... got the vortex and everything, thanks so much for the advice! All said and done, built the stir plate + purchased a stir bar for a whopping $26 bucks... :rockin:

Back