UH OH! is this a RDWHAAHB thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsrockin

Reaction score
so i racked my weizenbock into my keg tonight. however, i had forgotten about the iodophor sanitizer that was in there. the 5 gallon keg was about 1/8 or so full of sanitizer. i didn't realize it until it started overflowing and couldn't understand how until i got to thinking about it and realized i had forgotten to empty the damn keg first. DOH!

so since it is iodophor, should it be okay? i know it's odorless and tasteless, but there was more than a "trace" amount in the keg when i racked my beer into it.

i did a search but didn't see anything else along those lines. maybe i'm the only idiot to do this yet (i hope).

by chance, would it be heavier than the beer and set on the bottom so it would be dispensed first?

thanks all.

Iodophor is anything but tasteless. It has a strong iodine aroma and flavor that can't be missed (and won't be a character many are going to appreciate in their beer)...

I made an idiot post......I thought you said iodine.....and the taste wont be the best......and it might not be good for a body like breast milk

Not a ton you can do but learn from it. I'd say condition and carb it. IF it still tastes terrible, toss it out and make something tastier. Do your best not to be discouraged in any event.

thanks daksin. i'm not iscouraged, as much as i'm pissed at myself for the inattention. and, yeah, THIS mistake shall not be repeated!

i just tried a sip of it. still not carbed up yet but there is a medicinal off-flavor that taints it.

'tis a shame! the first batch of this was great, and this one tastes like it would have been without the sanitizer.

Could always save it back and use it for a tastier version of caster oil. The idophor will probably kill the gut bacteria, sending stuff right through :)

wow! thanks Kbentley. didn't even THINK of that angle. dang! i was hoping once carbed wouldn't be too bad (taste-wise). just tried some a bit ago. still has a twang but still not carbed up yet. may be that the iodophor killed the yeast and it won't carb i dunno. i guess i need to just bite the bullet and dump it. one thing for sure, won't EVER do *that* again!!

Back