Can I Mix and Match US 2 Row and Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffsta

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for about 8 lbs of 2-row. It is a scaled down version of the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale posted by Yuri https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/

I have about 5 lbs of US 2 row, and about 6 of Maris Otter. Can I just mix and match these? I have read that Maris Otter is a superior malt and can be used in place of the 2-row, but my beer tasting palate isnt refined enough to taste the difference yet.

Should I just go get 3 more pounds of the 2 row? Should I just add 3 lbs of the maris otter to make up the difference? Or, should I try to use more of the maris otter because it is a better product (from what I have read....)

I know that a recipe has certain ingredients for a reason, but is what I have read about maris otter right? Can I ALWAYS use it in place of 2 row for a better brew?

Is there any reason I shouldnt mix these at all?

I have read that Maris Otter is a superior malt and can be used in place of the 2-row, but my beer tasting palate isnt refined enough to taste the difference yet. ?

I don't know that Maris Otter is superior, it is different though. Its probably ffine for what you're trying to do.

It will work fine. It has a different flavor and is double the lovibond but it is a base grain so it would work fine.

As Synovia said, it's not really fair or accurate to call one or the other superior. They are just different. I like Maris Otter in my English ales, I think it gives them a little more body and doesn't attenuate quite as much. It's also a touch darker.

Domestic 2 row has substantially more diastatic power than MO, something to keep in mind if you're adding a lot of unmalted adjuncts. (Flaked corn/barley/oats, rice, etc.)

In most recipes, I think either will work just fine.

Thank you for the correction on that. I had a feeling that what I read may have been a little BS, and more of an opinion. I just want to verify that I can 1) mix these two without any weird tastes, and 2) would the Maris Otter be good in this recipe (using it for about 1/2 the base malt)

I use MO in place of 2 Row on many recipes and mostly it turns out fine. MO provides a more robust noticeable flavor to me. The only time I wouldnt use it would be on something like a light lager or other very light flavored beer.

Awesome thread, good topic and perfect timing. My brewing partner and I were just debating this last week but I had yet to dig into it and begin to research it.

On that note, can anyone help me with a good reference guide as to grains and thier properties. I'm just starting to get into all grain and I'm finding that I'm spending a lot of time searching to find what grain does what and why is there any good references that are realtively in depth that can be used for this? Thanks!

They're both base malts. Just remember. You're the brewer, so you can do anything you want. That's the best part about this hobby ... lifestyle ... obsession.

You will make beer either way. Don't be afraid to try something different just because you're not exactly sure how it will turn out. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results. Or you might wind up with something you only serve your in-laws. I figure it's a win either way.

I just made a strong ale that used half 2-row and half MO, turned out great. I think it is one more thing you can change up to add a few little different notes to the malt profile.

There were a whole buncha' other goodies in there, and the ale tastes like really good coffee cake :D

Maris Otter has more of a biscuit flavor. Like others said, for a light beer like a Lager it may not be the way to go but I prefer it in IPA's and even some Blondes although you have to watch and make sure it doesn't get to dark. It's good for a fuller malt flavor.

Awesome thread, good topic and perfect timing. My brewing partner and I were just debating this last week but I had yet to dig into it and begin to research it.

On that note, can anyone help me with a good reference guide as to grains and thier properties. I'm just starting to get into all grain and I'm finding that I'm spending a lot of time searching to find what grain does what and why is there any good references that are realtively in depth that can be used for this? Thanks!

Dont have it in front of me so Im not 100% it is in this one but check out Ray Daniels book "Designing Great Beers". Im pretty sure there is a whole chapter dedicated to just different grains and their characteristics.

Back