full boil steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdawg

Reaction score
Quick question. When I do a full boil do I steep my grains in the 6 or so gallons or do I use 2 or 3 gallons and then add the water for the boil?:mug:

If you're just using specialty grains, it doesn't matter. If you're using some base malt type grains, you'll still want to use 1.5 quarts per pound or so.

You may want to get into the habit of using 1.5 quarts per pound, then lifting the grains out and rinsing (sparging) by pouring 170 degree water over them to get to your boil volume, just in case some of the grains in a recipe are better off mashed. It's the same technique this way, whether you're steeping or mashing, and no matter what the grain bill is.

Are we talking about an Extract full boil? If so, the steeping grains go in the 6 gallons. I through the bag in when I start heating the water. Pull out at 170.

Yes, It is an extract. Thanks for the reponse. I am going to do a Scottish Ale at about 8% ABV! (For sipping on by the fireplace this winter)

Yes, It is an extract. Thanks for the reponse. I am going to do a Scottish Ale at about 8% ABV! (For sipping on by the fireplace this winter)

It seems you've found your answer but, here's my process:

(9 Gallon Kettle; Bayou Classic SP50 LP Burner)

Fill the kettle to 6 gallons, heat to 160˚, turn off the flame, pour the steeping grains into a bag, place bag in kettle, set timer for 30 minutes - rousting the bag in the kettle a couple two or three times during the steep, pull the bag out of the liquid - letting it drain (no squeezing the bag in my brauhaus!) dipping/draining 4-5 times, dispose of grains, and proceed to boil.
:mug:

Another process...

I steep mine (1.5 qts. per lb.) in another pot while the larger vessel is coming up to temp. Then I dump the smaller pot into the wort kettle on the top of which is a large ss strainer. Sparge the grains and bring the kettle up to volume.

Works like a champ for me.

Another process...

I steep mine (1.5 qts. per lb.) in another pot while the larger vessel is coming up to temp. Then I dump the smaller pot into the wort kettle on the top of which is a large ss strainer. Sparge the grains and bring the kettle up to volume.

I did that same exact thing for the first couple of FWB batches. The lazy American male in me got sick of moving and cleaning another vessel so I switch to doing the steeping in the kettle. I haven't noticed a perceptible difference between the two techniques other than less labor/equipment.

:off:
I that same sentiment, I've also never noticed a difference in bitterness in the package product going from 3 gallon boils to 7 gallons with no adjustment to the hop regime. I'm just sayin'...
:cross:

+1 to jason.mundy. I throw the grains in at 140 and pull them out at 170.
I do Mr. Beer 2.13 gallon sized batches and I steep 1/2 pound of grains in about a quart of water once it reaches 160F. I then steep them for 30 minutes while holding the temperature between 155-165F. Then I take the grain sack out, after it drips back as much liquid as it can without squeezing it.

steep-bag2.jpg

Another process...

+1 I do this as well

i have read about this topic and have seen where people dont squeeze their grain bags? why is this a bad thing? I think i know the answer.

You don't squeeze the grain bag because you want to avoid pulling tannins from the husks in the grains which will add astringent flavors to your beer and may cause haziness.

Back