Want a big boy? Imperial India Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I attempted a recipe similar to this when I first started all grain and it didn't turn out well for multiple reasons, fermentation temp, oxidation, etc. but I have learned more and have a better idea of whats going on. So now I have have dropped switched out some of the specialty grains and added more hops and made this thing a beast. Hoping to start it in September and enjoy it through the cold months, even though the dry hops wont last (can always re-hop in the keg)

82% Two-row 14lbs 12oz
06% Brown Malt 01lbs 00oz
04% Crystal 60L 00lbs 10oz
04% Special Roast 00lbs 10oz
02% Biscuit Malt 00lbs 06oz
02% Chocolate malt 00lbs 06oz

1.75oz Columbus 60min
0.67oz Columbus 35min
2.00oz Willamette 20min
1.50oz Willamette 5min
1.00oz Amarillo 5min

1.00oz Amarillo dry hop
1.00oz Willamette dry hop
0.50oz Columbus dry hop

Mashing at 155-157
90min boil
OG 1.095
FG 1.020
approx. 87 IBU
SRM 26

Thinking of fermenting with WLP001/005 or Wyeast 1335 with a massive starter. Fermenting at 68-70 and ramping to 75 after first week.

The current recipe is not accounting for water loss from hops. How much water would you say hop leaf absorbs in the boil compared to dry hopping? I can't imagine it is all that much.

The recipe looks pretty solid. I might use a Maris Otter or mild ale malt as your 2-row to give it a good, solid flavor, but that's just me. The only thing that raises a red flag for me is the mash temp. With a beer this big, you're going to end up with a pretty high FG mashing that high (definitely higher than 1.020). I'd mash this in the 152-154 range, tops, but again, that's just me.

You are most likely correct. I didn't change the mash temp from when I originally made this beer and it was in the 1070 range and I didn't want to sacrifice flavor...but with a beer like this I doubt I need to worry so I should drop it down. Thanks.

Just curious. If I was to use say, WLP001, do you think the yeast would be powerful enough to chew through all that sugar? If I use WLP001, I will be pitching directly onto a fresh yeast cake.

If by chance you think it wouldn't be strong enough, do you think taking a little of the cake out, making a starter, throwing it in the fridge and repitching it after the primary fermentation has finished would do the trick?

Back