The Pint Light!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splobucket

Reaction score
Here's a combination of a cable, a bulb, some wood, and a chunk of overhead light fixture:
22279_553456002746_17502548_32378284_904365_n.jpg

And the product is this:
22279_553456007736_17502548_32378285_3528869_n.jpg

What do you guys think?

Is that a red light in the box that is making an etched label on the glass glow red or a red label? That's cool.

Is that a red light in the box that is making an etched label on the glass glow red or a red label? That's cool.

That's a red label.

I'm glad you guys like it, it really creates quite a cool effect.

Hmmm. I wonder if you had an etched glass and a colored light if it would glow that color. It might be cool to set up a display for a few pint glasses. You could get some different color lights and have them cycle through.

Electronically that would be easy to wire, I just don't know if the whole glass would light up fully in regular light.

How fast does it heat up the beer? ...Or is it diode technology?

I haven't really noticed much heat from it. The point of it for me was just to take pictures, so the glass only sits on it long enough to take a few shots. And then gets downed :cool:

I have been wanting to do that exact thing for about a year, but never started on it. Good to know that the idea works, it looks great!

Hah this bar here has lights on the actual bar like that and my girlfriend and I were very intrigued by setting our IPAs on it, especially since they slowly changed colors.

Pretty cool!

This would force us all to filter our beer :)....looks excellent for taking pics of a particular beer, etc. though.

I wonder....if you could create a 1/2" thick coaster with a single LED in it, it might be pretty cool.....or maybe make a "bank" of these on a coffee table with a central power source. LED's would keep the beer from heating up.....different colors would be for different people.

Great idea!

Oooh I really like the idea of an LED coaster. That would be pretty awesome. That's not up my ally though, I'm a mechanical engineer.

Yeah, I just went out to the garage and I couldn't find an AVR programmer. How 'bout a simple on/off switch? LED's are pretty efficient...I imagine you could run it off of one AAA.

If I were to attempt an LED in a coaster, I'd start by taking a cheap one from a keychain or something, along with the switch that comes with it, and try to re-house it as-is.

I agree. I think once you got the coaster housing and the switching mechanism down, that'd be most of the build. Photon keychains are $6.

How about making a line of 8-10 light-up coasters on the bar, all connected through whatever it is that does the Christmas-lights-to-music? Then, your beers could flash different colors to whatever you have playing? :)

I'm kidding.... well, kinda....

How about making a line of 8-10 light-up coasters on the bar, all connected through whatever it is that does the Christmas-lights-to-music? Then, your beers could flash different colors to whatever you have playing? :)

Well, with enough time, and some voltage regulators, one could hook this idea up relatively easy.

That would be amazing. You could set it to some Trans-Siberian orchestra just like they did on that youtube house. And use different types of beer for different colors....

Back