Infection = Bummer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is infected.. never seen this in any of my batches before..
Took forever to start fermenting.. wonder if it caught something in that lag time (was almost 3 days)

photokq.jpg

dump & bleach the crap out of that BB i guess.. lol

ill get a better pic later..

what is this yeast rafts you speak of? I dont think ive ever had em.

Clumps of yeast that get CO2 bubbles on/in them and stay on top of the surface tension. They should drop out after a while.

ill get a better pic later..

what is this yeast rafts you speak of? I dont think ive ever had em.

About what 99% of the pics in the "is my beer infected" threads actually turn out to be when we look at them.:D

Yeast colonies on top of a beer are so common that they have the nickname "yeast rafts." They are buoyed to the surface due to rising co2 being released from the trub, not just due to fermentation, but also changes in temp or atmospheric temperature.

Very rarely is the surface of a beer totally free of something floating on it.

After looking at it again, I think is just a yeast raft. I'm going to keg it next weekend and put another batch on top.

Even if it is infected... you should taste it to make sure you're not flushing a masterpiece down the drain.

Even if it is infected... you should taste it to make sure you're not flushing a masterpiece down the drain.

Exactly... I don't get why everyone is so antsy to dump beer.

Even if it is "infected", there's a very real chance that the beer will be damn good. A little sowah ain't a bad thing.

hee hee hee...

LONG LIVE THE SERPENT!!!!

Don't you have a motorcycle? You ride... she rides... maybe you can form, you know, a riding club or something. Just a thought.

That brew looks truly infected, so here's what I'm going to need you to do. First don't dump it. What you need to do is rack it out of the carboy and into a bucket while adding 3/4cup of priming sugar. Next get about 48-58 brown beer bottles and caps. Next rack the beer from the bucket into each bottle and cap. Then take the cases of beers and package them with care (bubble wrap, peanuts, etc) inside of a bigger shipping box. Next take the package now to your local UPS and ship it to me on your dime. I shall sample all these beers and either confirm or disprove if it is truly infected.

PM me and I'll send you my address.

That brew looks truly infected, so here's what I'm going to need you to do. First don't dump it. What you need to do is rack it out of the carboy and into a bucket while adding 3/4cup of priming sugar. Next get about 48-58 brown beer bottles and caps. Next rack the beer from the bucket into each bottle and cap. Then take the cases of beers and package them with care (bubble wrap, peanuts, etc) inside of a bigger shipping box. Next take the package now to your local UPS and ship it to me on your dime. I shall sample all these beers and either confirm or disprove if it is truly infected.

PM me and I'll send you my address.

LOL.

I dont give up on a batch until I taste it, wouldn't want to waste anything :tank:

I was trying to save you from all the mental anguish and pacing around....:mug:

Latest posts

Back