Lots of Crystal 20 or a little of crystal 120

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
What is the difference between adding something like 2 # of crystal 20 or 1/4 # of crystal 120 to a beer. I know that the amounts can be changed so that the color is the same but will there be any difference in sweetness or complexity?

There's a huge difference. The Wiki has descriptions of the various crystals. Basically, 20L will be more of a candy sweetness, the 120L will be more raisiny.

thanks! That's actually a very helpfull link. Here i thought it was different strenths of the same malt but really it's all different malts that are similar.

the 120L will be more raisiny.

I keep seeing people saying that, but I wonder what the threshold is. I recently used over 10% in a porter (maybe more of an English Dark Ale), and I don't taste any raisin flavors. It did taste raisiny when it was young (1 week in bottle), but after 3 weeks in bottles, the raisin flavor disappeared and the beer is quite good.

You say that like raisin is a bad flavor. I liken it to carry more burnt, molassesy, and rich flavors than lighter crystals. I think the use of adjacent lovibond crystals is more about color impact, choosing 40L over 20L for instance, but once you get at least 40L apart, there's a definite flavor impact in quantities over say 5%.

You say that like raisin is a bad flavor.

I didn't mean to imply that. I actually thought it was an "interesting" flavor. When I first tasted it, I thought... wow that tastes like raisins or prunes. But it was interesting that the flavor literally disappeared after a couple more weeks in the bottle.

What is the difference between adding something like 2 # of crystal 20 or 1/4 # of crystal 120 to a beer. I know that the amounts can be changed so that the color is the same but will there be any difference in sweetness or complexity?

Besides of color and taste by adding more of a light colored crystal you increase amount of non fermentable sugars hence impacting FG and body of your beer.

Back