What can I do with this? Recipe advice needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So, I ordered the Pumpkin Ale kit from Austin Homebrew. Much to my dismay, the kit does not come with pumpkin of any sort - which is a problem for two reasons. 1. They don't advertise that you will need to go to the store when you buy the kit... and their kits are usually complete. Its annoying to say the least. 2. Indiana doesn't have any pumpkin - canned or otherwise - in my neck of the woods. Apparently, there is a shortage of it in the midwest. 10 different markets today looking for it. So, what I have in my possession is a milled grain bill that I can't use (to its potential).

.5 Pound Cara Munich Malt
7.25 Pounds 2-Row Malt
1.5 Pounds Vienna Malt
.5 Pound Crystal 60L

60 Minutes - .5 ounce Kent Golding
15 Minutes - .5 ounce Kent Golding
5 Minutes - Pumpkin Spice Pack

So, my order was shipped on 8.27. I only have like a 10 day window to brew with milled grains, right? I cant find pumpkin and I feel in 2 days (unless anyone reading this can help me). What do I do with this grain bill?

And discuss.

I would just go ahead and brew it without the pumpkin. A lot of people brew "pumpkin" beer with out any pumpkin - they say it is the spices that make it like pumpkin pie.

don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that this will result in the same thing as using pumpkin, just that this is an option that will get you close. You have the grain, hops, yeast and spices. You don't have the pumpkin. So, you're not going to make a pumpkin beer (even if you use yams), but you could make a very fine tasting Pumpkin Pie Spice Ale.

Back