blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normeller

Reaction score
I have tried pitching on old yeast cake for the first time today and I am getting real good action. I am using a blow off tube in a bucket. How long should I leave the blow off tube in before switching to a lid valve?

It depends on a couple things. Temp, OG, yeast... The thing about the need for the tube is, you only need it for as long as you need it. In other words, once the krausen stops coming out ofthe tube, you can swap it out. I would guess about 3-4 days, but if you watch it, you'll know best. Good luck.

I'm a recent convert to using foam control drops in my boil. It has totally eliminated the blow-off issue during fermentation. In fact, my last batch there was NO visible action whatsoever. I took a hydrometer reading after 4 days and I had full attenuation.

I usually leave my blow off tubes in for a week also. Never tried the 'no foam' drops. I've read up on them and from what I can read it's just silicone (or silica...something like that...) and if you put more than reccomended it can yadda yadda yadda. Blow off tube take a couple of minutes to sanitize and seconds to install.....and doesn't cause cancer...lol

I leave mine on for a week. Highly active fermentation takes a few days and then it slows down. That is when I rack to secondary. Plus, I brew on Saturdays and it's convenient to transfer then too. It wouldn't kill anything to leave it on though for the duration of the fermentation process. It is just like a huge airlock.

Latest posts

Back