Yeasty Cider Smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m9holbrook

Reaction score
Hey all,

I made a Scottish 80 Ale a week ago, and used Safbrew S-33 dry yeast. It's the first time I used dry yeast. I did hydrate. I pitched at about 72F, and I had some big crausen within 10 hours. The temps got a bit warm in those 10 hours, close to 75F. Then things settled down and I've been keeping 67-70 for about 5 days now. A couple strange things:

1) The crausen built up really fast, and thick, but was gone after 2 days
2) The smell coming out of the air lock is kinda cidery/yeasty

I checked out the details on the S-33. Looks like it does most of the fermentations within 60 hours, and then levels off.

What do you all think about the above concerns (item 1 and 2).

Welcome to HBT!
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Fast fermentation and fast krausen is pretty common.
Smells can run a large range of aromas. Search this site for rhino farts and you'll see what I mean. Some smells are good, some neutral, and some bad (see rhino farts).

Sounds normal from my experience with S-33. All you have to do now is let is sit in the primary for at least a week if you are going to secondary, 3 if you are not. I find the smell of s-33 fermenting pleasent.

Same sounds normal to me with S-33. Its the usual smell I get. And everytime I've used S-33 primary is done inside of 4 days.

I have a Scottish 80 fermenting as well and have the same smell coming from the airlock; its pretty normal. Although I used Scottish Ale Yeast 1780... we get similar smells. I would only have been worried if you had let it sit above 72 degrees for more than a few hours. At those fermentation temps you will get some unpleasant esters from the yeast.

Back