Scotch Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I made a Scotch Ale about a year ago and I hate it. I am pretty sure that it tastes like it should - very strong - I just do not like it. I have about a case left and have been saving it mainly because I want to eventually recycle the bottles. But now I am kegging, so I don't know what to do with the beer. Should I just dump it? Has anyone here dumped a batch of beer because you didn't like it?

I had the same issue with a batch of German Alt-bier, I hated that too. A friend tried it and liked it though so I gave all that to him.

Advice?

Have you tried the Scotch ale recently? I made a Scotch ale that didn't taste that great at first but now it gets better every month.

I haven't even bottled my first batch of homebrew yet, but I have had commercial beers that I haven't been very fond of. Rather than just dumping them out I will use them for cooking. Boiling brats, etc. The only type of beer that this doesn't seem to work very well with (for me at least) is wheat beer, I don't like the flavor it imparts on the food (but then again, I have yet to find a wheat beer I like.)

I made a Scotch Ale about a year ago and I hate it. I am pretty sure that it tastes like it should - very strong - I just do not like it. I have about a case left and have been saving it mainly because I want to eventually recycle the bottles. But now I am kegging, so I don't know what to do with the beer. Should I just dump it? Has anyone here dumped a batch of beer because you didn't like it?

I had the same issue with a batch of German Alt-bier, I hated that too. A friend tried it and liked it though so I gave all that to him.

Advice?

Ship me four bottles and I'll give it a fair judging. :p

I like the idea of using it for cooking! Not a bad idea! I might ship a few bottles out - let me think about it.

The Scotch Ale is gonzo! My friend stopped over the other night, I had him try it, he LOVED it! So I gave him the remainder of it.

I remembered that this same friend also loved Skull Splitter, a Scotch Ale that I could not take more than a few sips of.

So I guess taste is on the tounge of the beholder.

lol. A good thing to remember is that most beers make great cooking beers. I had a blue moon clone that turned out tasting purely of coriander, and it makes a great cooking beer!

Back