The Brewing Network

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you listen to the Brewing Network?

• Yes.

• No.

• Dear God, NO!

• Yeah sometimes but it's too much waste material to deal with on a regular basis.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
Just wondering who listens to the Brewing Network. If you don't there's a lot of good info (shuffled in with... something else).

Check out the archives. There's some pretty good ones. Recently I listened to the one with Papazian and another w/ the guy from White Labs.

I fast-forward through most of the blabber to get to the good stuff. ;)

Guys...go download/listen to the archive of the "sanitation show" archive with the head guy at Five Star chemicals. It is by far the best bit of info I have ever gotten for my brewing. Amazing info. Many myths and fallacies are set straight.

Dude's right, especially if you're a first time listener, listen to the show with the 5 star chemical guy (3/19) and the show with Chris White (1/22). Chock full of useful information.

Ya, I listened to it last night after dude suggested it.... very interesting. I wanted them to keep talking to the 5-star guy more but it was very cool.

鯰  said:
Dude's right, especially if you're a first time listener, listen to the show with the 5 star chemical guy (3/19) and the show with Chris White (1/22). Chock full of useful information.

And the shows with Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River Brewing) are great. He is a great guy and very informativfe info about hops--growing them and wet-hopping specifically.

I e-mailed him for the notes about the NHBC dry-hopping seminar he did last year at the conference and he sent them to me along with a homebrew recipe for Pliny the Elder. KICKASS!!!!! His seminar can actually be listened to at the end of the first brewing network show he was on. Great info.

I had heard about this and forgotten about it. I'm gonna try and listen this Sunday and maybe have my girlfriend download the archived stuff (she has DSL; I can't get DSL where I live:mad: ).

I've never had the time to listen... i keep hearing good things... so someday I'll go by there site and check it out...

Jester

I didn't know about it, but now I will give it a try. Thanks for the link.

I've listened to the interview with Charlie Papazian and the one with the guy from 5 Star Chem. They were both fantastic interviews. Lots of good information.

Drunk Monkey said:
Great beer. Care to share the recipe?

PLINY THE ELDER (8 Gallon Gross Kettle Volume)

MALT BILL
85% 2-Row Malt
2% Crystal 45 Malt
6% Carapils (Dextrin) Malt
7% Dextrose Sugar
O.G. - 1.074
T.G. - 1.014
BU's - 95 - 100
ABV - 8-8.5%
Mash Rest - 150-152
Boil Time - 90 min.
SRM - 7ish
California Ale Yeast
(White Labs)

HOP BILL
1.50 oz Chinook Flowers 13.00% A.A. MASH
2.75 oz Warrior 15.60% A.A. 90 min.
.50 oz Chinook 12.20% A.A. 90 min.
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.00% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz Columbus 14.30% A.A. 30 min.
2.25 oz Centennial 9.10% A.A. 0 min.
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.00% A.A. 0 min.
1.25 oz Columbus 14.50% A.A. Dry Hop (Two Weeks)
1.25 oz Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (Two Weeks)
1.25 oz Simcoe 12.00% A.A. Dry Hop (Two Weeks)​

Dude said:
PLINY THE ELDER (8 Gallon Gross Kettle Volume)

HOP BILL
1.50 oz Chinook Flowers 13.00% A.A. MASH
2.75 oz Warrior 15.60% A.A. 90 min.
.50 oz Chinook 12.20% A.A. 90 min.
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.00% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz Columbus 14.30% A.A. 30 min.
2.25 oz Centennial 9.10% A.A. 0 min.
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.00% A.A. 0 min.
1.25 oz Columbus 14.50% A.A. Dry Hop (Two Weeks)
1.25 oz Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (Two Weeks)
1.25 oz Simcoe 12.00% A.A. Dry Hop (Two Weeks)​
You might want to shoot for more hops in this one. You are only shy a pound by 2.25 Oz! :D
What about 200 IBUs? :drunk:
Edit: I was way off. Just ran it through ProMash and I was above 256 IBUs and the boil time stops at 60 min..

The BN are just a bunch of a-holes.
They proved it when they publicly pissed on some home brewers from these forums when they made a YouTube piece called "I am a Home Brewer". I wasn't involved in that project, but I think this act of silly small-minded jealousy on the part of BN said a lot about what kind of people they are.

Other then that, I couldn't listen to that show even if I wanted to. That's because I have kids running around the house and BN is full of 4-letter words, burping and farting noises, not something I want my kids to be exposed to.
BN is a lot of BS, not much of home brewing.

I listen to Jamil's two shows. Consistently a whole lot of good info there. I've learned a lot. I don't mind the silliness too much.

These zombie threads are gettin outta control ;)
And they all seem to be 3 years old.

Anyway, I feel like most do I think. I listen, but it is an exercise in separating the seed from the chaff if you know what I mean.

Which shows have Chris White and Vinnie Cilurzo on them? I've listened to most of the Brew Strong episodes and don't remember those guys being on.

I like the info in the shows but often find myself fast forwarding past the the first ten minutes or so. I don't mind Jamil's crudeness myself but it's not very interesting in those early parts of the show when they're not talking about much that has to do with actually giving us information. I find those opening bits interesting if they're talking about homebrewing, like when they talked about Australia or the national conference. But sometimes they're just ****ing around for the first 10 to 20 minutes and I just skip those bits.

The BN are just a bunch of a-holes.
They proved it when they publicly pissed on some home brewers from these forums when they made a YouTube piece called "I am a Home Brewer". I wasn't involved in that project, but I think this act of silly small-minded jealousy on the part of BN said a lot about what kind of people they are.

Don't know about this. Where/when did they publicly piss on the folks who put together the video?

Can this die, please?

It'd be entirely fair for the BN to say 'HBT are a bunch of whiny a-holes who don't know how to let something go.'

The french beer show.Scooby brew.The sunday session is a lot of non beer related stuff,but Brew strong with Jamil zanisheff and John Palmer is very informative.

Back