This has been asked before, I'm sure....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeister

Reaction score
I want store beer in a corny keg until ready to drink. How do I pressurize the keg to seal the top, then set it and forget it until I'm ready to hook it up to drink?:confused:

Just hook the gas up to the inline and add gas at about 20 pounds of pressure. You may need to jiggle the lid around to get it to seat. If you have the ability to keep it cold and under 10 or 12 pounds of pressure for a week or so, it'll condition while you wait. If not, just store it under 20 pounds or so in as cool a place as possible.

Cheers :D

Wont the beer absorb the co2 and drop the pressure in the corny? If you prime instead of force carb. will the pressure inhibit the yeast?

Yes the co2 pressure will drop until the keg equilizes, you'll still end up with 10psi of headspace pressure and about 10psi in your beer. It wont be enough to fully carbonate your beer, though with just one shot of CO2.

So it would be good enough to store though. I can carbonate for a week when I bring it out right?

It will be enough to keep the lid sealed while the keg sits around waiting to get drunk. I thought that was the goal, but sorry if I misunderstood.

If you want to condition it, you'll either have to give it more shots of high pressure CO2 (tough to accurately condition), or leave it under 12 or so PSI and cold for several days to a week. That's the best way to condition.

Pressure will not inhibit the yeast if you prime the keg. I never prime. Seems to me one of the advantages of kegging is not having to prime, and given that you need a CO2 tank to keep the beer carbonated once you are serving it, priming seems like kind of a waste of effort in all but cask-conditioned beers served off the cask. YMMV.

To get this right, you are saying just shut the lid and don't worry about hooking up the CO2 (carbonating it) until a week before it will be drank?

Shut the lid, hit it with 20 pounds or so of gas to keep it sealed (and start the carbonation process) and then leave it until you want to condition it. It's always good to put some pressure on it so that you know it's good and sealed.

Cheers :D

Make sure you purge it of all the oxygen, too.. by the way.

Hit it with 10lbs, bleed it, hit it with 10lbs, bleed it.. hit it with 20 and set aside.

Back