1000ml flask big enough for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I am purchasing a yeast starter kit and I am currently making 5gal extract batches only. Would a 1000ml flask be big enough to make a start with something the size of a wyeast pack, or will I wake up the next day to a bubbly mess? :)

I don't think that is big enough. I had a 2 litre and it was too small, so I bought a 5 litre. Money well spent.

I use a 1000mL flask for starters on a stirplate with no issue. You won't get much krausen in a starter anyway.

You might see krausen if you do a hefe. I did a 4 litre hefe starter in my 5 litre flask and it needed a blowoff. I've been going by the Mr. Malty calculations, so that's why I've been using the bigger flasks.

FYI, that 2 litre starter blew out the top of the airlock when I woke up this morning. That's over 3 litres of krausen.

Thanks for the input gents. My LBS recommended a 1gal glass jug, and he outfit me with a stopper and 3 pc airlock. He just told me to clean the jug immediately after pitching to keep it from caking on inside. Hopefully this works!

Pugilist said:
Thanks for the input gents. My LBS recommended a 1gal glass jug, and he outfit me with a stopper and 3 pc airlock. He just told me to clean the jug immediately after pitching to keep it from caking on inside. Hopefully this works!
If you are on a stirplate an airlock prevents aeration which hinders yeast growth. Just put a sanitized piece of foil over the jug. Many think Jamil's advice on starters is the best info out there. Check out http://www.mrmalty.com/. Scroll down to the Pitch Rate calculator and read his pitch rate explanation ( http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php ).

I bought a 1000 but replaced it with a 2000. I also had to pick up a 5000 for lagers & real big beers. It all depends on what you make and wether you do 5 or 10g batches. I would skip the 1000 and pay the few extra bucks for the 2000 right away

Back